Insurance for Private use only query

Hope I’m posting this in the right section.

I’m looking to buy a truck to do a couple of house removals. I’m a class 2 LGV with CPC but I don’t have Operators Licence etc. The truck will not be used for any hire or reward, just private work.

Because of the location of the removals I couldn’t find a company that would hire me a truck. The trips involve UK overseas travel on a ferry and they won’t alow this. Even then, I need side lashing points fitted to the vehicle for lashing down on the boat. So, I worked out it would be better to buy a somewhat cheap truck and do everything myself. Found a couple of 18 tonne removal type trucks. Hoping I can buy them, do the moves and then sell on, ideally as a working truck or maybe even as storage etc. Even if I couldn’t sell the truck on it still works out cheaper paying a removal company and I’m in control of everything.

I’ve been speaking to insurance companies and I’ve only found one that will offer insurance so far. The truck has to be over 20 years old to qualify as a classic truck. Quote is only £175 per year which is good.

I did wonder about buying a newer 7.5 tonne removal truck which should be easier to sell on. Not sure this will take the required weight though. I thought that even though I didn’t have my O’ Licence I could still get private insurance on a 7.5 tonne vehicle but havn’t found anyone yet.

I would appreciate advice on any of this, insurance companies that may be able to help, which truck would be best to buy and so on.

Could you buy a box trailer fill it at your leisure then get a haulier to take it when your ready ?

My Dad moved to Ireland he bought 2 boxes then we moved them when he was ready and left them with him .

Thanks for the response.

Initially I did look at buying or renting a box trailer and just hiring someone with a cab to take it back and forth. Still might be an option but not sure how I’d go about finding a driver. Would need to be brought from Aberdeen to Midlands.

Access might be a slight issue with a trailer but I might be able to work something out.

try anthony d evans. insures my 15tonner for private use for not a lot,

other than them, theres the NFU and adrian flux, both will insure anything, for a price.

Thank you. How old is your 15 tonner?

2008 :grimacing:

Uhm strange, Just checked, I did try Anthony Evans but they said they wouldn’t insure any truck for ‘this’ purpose. I had said it was for my own private removal.

yeah i wasn’t sure weather they would. my wagon falls into one of their categories, so no problem for me.

Haha, maybe depends what purpose I state then! Can I ask what you have it insured for, reason you gave?

race transporter.

(photo mid build)

Thanks for that. Uhm, so if I put my car in the back! Lol.

You’d get very nearly as much as, if not more, weight wise in a van or 4x4 and a 3.5t trailer as in a 7.5 tonner and much easier to insure etc. and easier to sell on.

Yeah, ideally after something bigger than 7.5 tonne, anything smaller may be 2 runs which increases costs and time dramatically.

I’ve found a decent 7.5 tonne at the right price so hoping to go for this.

Hopefully insurance will be OK, NFU have said they’ll quote so will check tomorrow.

It sounds like you’re hell bent on lorry ownership for making this trip, which is fair enough but one thing after insurance a lot of new 7.5ton lorry owners forget about is cost of recovery if it sharts itself with all your stuff in the back miles from home particularly if you’re driving on the continent where even a tyre blowout will be wallet emptying on its own. It’s not like vans/4x4s and trailers there’s no realistically priced version of AA Relay for trucks.

Not hell bent on ownership but hell bent on getting the best deal :slight_smile:

Yes, apprecaite the break down scenario and will look into that.

try using the white van man removals and trips to span and similar off of ebay,or get quotes from shipley…
you can always tag onto the van/trailer/truck in your car and have less hassle.
if its insured and they nick/wreck it,then buy everything new once your in spain.

just keep rejecting the quotes as too expensive and after a week you will start to get lower ones.

way2gohire.com/home/

Or ask a Romanian at the local car wash

Uhm, not going to Spain :frowning:

Just looking for insurance :slight_smile: