PMI's, a quick question

I have my PMI’s carried out by Motus/Imperial Commercials but have been informed that they are closing at the end of March. I don’t have them do any maintenance, just the PMI’s. I have a one man mobile guy who does all the routine servicing/repairs/maintenance, so I only used Motus to remain fully compliant with regards to PMI’s…allegedly.

My mobile fitter said he has contacted the traffic commissioners office and has been told that he is ok to carry out PMI’s on a mobile basis? However, I’m unsure if this is correct as I thought it had to be carried out at a facility that had a pit. I know he does inspections for fleets that do have workshops, but in my case he would simply be coming to the yard. Access to the underneath of the trailer isn’t an issue as its a boat trailer so its all open from above and I assume he’ll just jack up the unit.

Before I commit I just wanted to ask the question to people with more experience.

Thanks, Paul

I have done exactly what your guy does for my customers for the last 25 years. As with everything to do with the maintenance system you have, it is ‘proof of the pudding’ which matters. Since he is a contractor working on your site the ‘pit’ rules etc do not apply. He will need a level concrete surface to work on which is very clearly large enough for purpose. Since obviously you don’t have a roller brake tester on site then either he or you will need to visit an ATF or other workshop two or three scheduled times a year to get recorded RBT tests. You can also book a ‘multi test’ with an ATF which would cover headlight alignment, emissions, RBT and for a little extra £ shaker plates. You can do also book a voluntary test with the DVSA but only really as a quality control. You could do this after the first scheduled inspection as a demonstrable intention to the TC that you require a QC check on the standard of your new provider.

This is a change of maintenance provider so you need a formal contract with this fitter which needs to be sent to the TC along with the schedule and a copy of the inspection sheet he uses. This needs to be done before the existing arrangements expire. Since he is already recognised on their system it should not present difficulties unless you only have a mud yard. It would be a sensible idea to have a demonstrable plan for coping with inclement weather (suitable building or rebook) PMIs need to be done during the relevant week not on a set date. They can roll over - Monday of the following week is not a sin - but only with demonstrable proof that the vehicle/trailer has been taken off the road as ‘PMI date expired’ (diary, wall chart, and physical notice, keys record or safe to put them in, for a trailer a king pin or air coupling lock available to prevent use). This will also need to be recorded on the relevant following PMI sheet as a return to service inspection or similar wording ( Monday of the following week excepted).

The fitter should be able to undertake brake tests with a calibrated decelerometer able to produce a print out and of a type recognised as compliant by the DVSA. The unit presents more problems, he must be able to demonstrate that all aspects can be seen properly and safely, 4x2 are not a particular problem but 6x2 are more of a challenge, just jacking up is not OK - he needs to demonstrate how it can be done.

Wow, thanks for such a concise reply. I’ll have a serious chat with him to make sure he can achieve all of the above.

Could end up costing me more than just running in to Norfolk Trucks or similar by the sound of it though?

As per above reply, I do my own trailer inspections as I have a building but don’t have a ramp or pit, so I contract out my pmi on the tractor units. DVSA were quite ok with this arrangement when I last got inspected, but I wouldn’t want to do an inspection on a vehicle without being able to get underneath it properly over a pit or lifts etc.
The guide to maintaining roadworthy ness is a good starting point, it says you should have hard standing, undercover and a method of inspecting the underside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good points.
Many operators choose to undertake inspections via mobile mechanics however it is not without it’s challenges. Worth looking at Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness page 58 onward tells you about the requirements for maintenance facilities. Competence question is also very important but often overlooked.

But do make sure you add him as a maintenance provider on your O Licence - you can do this online via VOL and have multiple maint people on your licence.

I have decided to use a local garage who also have an ATF lane purely for the PMI’s on the tractor and trailer as they have the pits, the brt’s etc, so if I do have an audit at least it shows that I am trying to remain compliant. My mobile guy will still look after the maintenance of both, just won’t do the PMI’s.

There were too many things that were a bit iffy regarding facilities and locations and I have duly informed the DVSA via the online O licence portal.

Thanks for the replies though. Stay safe!