Rates

Hi all were do i start got done for about 7.000 pounds last summer .so started for a nother company i have just been giving my rate for a back load 170 miles back 50 miles more to go and load it from were i am 290 pounds. yesterday i got load out 335 pounds 2 drops next to each other 160 miles my point is 2 days out for 625 pounds 330 miles if that was done in one day ok but 2 days and probly 300 diesel and were and tare so about 200 pounds for 2 days work what the [zb] has gone wrong

Say what ■■?

Try the owner drivers forum mate , hopefully you will get the response / advice you need

fat liar:
Hi all were do i start got done for about 7.000 pounds last summer .so started for a nother company i have just been giving my rate for a back load 170 miles back 50 miles more to go and load it from were i am 290 pounds. yesterday i got load out 335 pounds 2 drops next to each other 160 miles my point is 2 days out for 625 pounds 330 miles if that was done in one day ok but 2 days and probly 300 diesel and were and tare so about 200 pounds for 2 days work what the [zb] has gone wrong

Come again?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Customers will still only pay for short distance work by the mile not the day or the hour.Who’d have thought it.Here’s a clue there’s not enough miles in the job to make it worthwhile. :wink:

If you dont like the rates, then dont accept them. You need to find different work.

After running costs, accountants fees, fuel etc, I suspect that a Stobart Driver will be taking home more. If that’s all your earning then it’s time to get out of the game

Secret is source your own work, spread yourself about so no one firm owes you enough to hurt you and also find a niche market-go after the jobs no one else wants cos you’ll get your hands dirty but price accordingly. Remember you are not a driver but a business man so think like one.

No disrespect to the guy. But THIS is the problem that Owner Operators are facing. If you are an Owner Operator then why the Heck are you asking others if the rate is enough ■■?. Its really because Morons start as Owner Operators, without a clue of how to run a business. Take stupid rates this only encourages others to offer crap rates to the detriment of all.
My advice if you are trying to get into the Owner Operator Game, is get everything in place. And then spend as much time as possible phoning, emailing. or visiting potential customers. ( NOT Transport companies ) but shippers, or shipping agents. Put yourself about and try to offer something that they want and most important PAYS.

I feel your pain Fat Lar.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that if you want to own a lorry, either run a business that just happens to need one for ‘own account’ work, or go and work for someone else and have a old lorry as a pet.

That said, I do know of plenty of ODs still making a decent living, they have usually been going for years however.

Wally Webb:
I feel your pain Fat Lar.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that if you want to own a lorry, either run a business that just happens to need one for ‘own account’ work, or go and work for someone else and have a old lorry as a pet.

That said, I do know of plenty of ODs still making a decent living, they have usually been going for years however.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
until this happens,then you need to dip into the piggy bank and use the extra money you previously made and saved up for such an occasion…just like this poor dude.
end of living the dream for him…

ebay.co.uk/itm/Scania-R480- … SwnWFeaPJr

Carryfast:
Customers will still only pay for short distance work by the mile not the day or the hour.Who’d have thought it.Here’s a clue there’s not enough miles in the job to make it worthwhile. :wink:

No, they don’t.
Local haulage rates are typically structured by time, not distance.
As ever, calculators at the ready and buyer beware.

I wouldn’t worry so much about customers as things tighten up its the rate cutters and brown envelope merchants you have to worry about