First budget unit what would you recommend

Hi i am in the process of looking for my first unit.
Top candidates for budget of up to 15000£
T range 64 plate most concerns reliability
Merc actros 2543 dont know anything bout them
Scania r 450 high milage for the money but i recon bulletproof.
Please give me your ideas as i am concentrating on euro6 motors choices are limited for the money
Highly appreciate it

I drive a Renault t atm tends to be ok mechanical wise it’s always electrics that goes or something electric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove and operated my own trucks for about ten years. Never leave yourself open to a big repair bill. So you either need bullet proof R&M which on trucks that old will be astronomical. Or lease.

Each to their own though.

Just because it’s a Scania doesn’t mean they don’t go wrong too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Base it on lowest mileage, newest vehicle, best condition at your budget.

Get a short list

Then see who is the best repair agent around you and get the one off the shortlist that fits with them.

At the age and mileage you will be getting for your budget you are going to need someone that knows how to fix it first time at a reasonable price.

Alternatively buy the one you want and pay a fortune to a main agent for an R&M.

Dannyboy84:
I drive a Renault t atm tends to be ok mechanical wise it’s always electrics that goes or something electric

I spoke to one of the drives y day and he scared me a bit cuz initially i was going for t range
He said head gasket went
Linkage from tacho and speed
A switch on gear box went
Whats your experience
I was looking at 64 plate with 500000km on the clock

best earner for you would to just get a dedicated truck lease package deal from maritime then you can earn that whopping £1.40 per mile you got offered by them.
as soon as your coining it in,then expand by 10 so your profits increase x10…sounds like a bulletproof winner to me?

dieseldog999:
best earner for you would to just get a dedicated truck lease package deal from maritime then you can earn that whopping £1.40 per mile you got offered by them.
as soon as your coining it in,then expand by 10 so your profits increase x10…sounds like a bulletproof winner to me?

What he said lol

dieseldog999:

Good advice m8 talking from your own experience i believe.

KWN86:

dieseldog999:

Good advice m8 talking from your own experience i believe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
nice try…note …try harder.

troll reply.png

KWN86:
Hi i am in the process of looking for my first unit.
Top candidates for budget of up to 15000£
T range 64 plate most concerns reliability
Merc actros 2543 dont know anything bout them
Scania r 450 high milage for the money but i recon bulletproof.
Please give me your ideas as i am concentrating on euro6 motors choices are limited for the money
Highly appreciate it

Buying used then there are no guaranties. If you have £15,000 as a budget, use that as a bigger deposit and get a low mileage unit. If your Total Budget is £15,000 Then you need to save a bundle more than that, or you will fail…

Your living in dream land if you think any euro 6 truck isn’t going to give some trouble , most are mechanically good , but it’s the emissions hardware software that usually give trouble , a euro 6 motor has a lot more complications than euro 5 ,at a budget of £15g you won’t find anything other than a Renault t with low mileage , and low mileage is key if you ask me , over 700k km you start running in ever lasting problems brakes discs turbo starter Apu units etc , unless you totally need euro 6 at 15g I’d go euro 5 it will always export and you won’t loose a fortune

chipliner:
Your living in dream land if you think any euro 6 truck isn’t going to give some trouble , most are mechanically good , but it’s the emissions hardware software that usually give trouble , a euro 6 motor has a lot more complications than euro 5 ,at a budget of £15g you won’t find anything other than a Renault t with low mileage , and low mileage is key if you ask me , over 700k km you start running in ever lasting problems brakes discs turbo starter Apu units etc , unless you totally need euro 6 at 15g I’d go euro 5 it will always export and you won’t loose a fortune

Echo this, id go 13/14 premium with as close to 500km as possible, forget a 14 reg T. First year of a new truck which always has teething problems.

Id also look at daf cf’s.

Whos around.you to fix it? That should also influence your decision.

Iv ran 4 series scanias, there old and still break but there long paid for, and i run on a different business model/ contract then probably 99% of others.

Do you really need a euro 6? Do you go into London regularly?

There’s a lot of good deals on euro 5 trucks at the min, I would be looking for something along those lines if you can get away with it, I seen a few volvo v3 been sold by volvo main dealers with 3 month warranty, the last of these trucks are bullet proof if they have been maintained by volvo. Don’t go for an early euro 6 if it goes wrong it’ll be big money, I almost fell into this trap, I went for a late euro 5 on advice from a very good mechanic. One last thing only buy on the strength of your work.

TheYoungTrucker:
There’s a lot of good deals on euro 5 trucks at the min, I would be looking for something along those lines if you can get away with it, I seen a few volvo v3 been sold by volvo main dealers with 3 month warranty, the last of these trucks are bullet proof if they have been maintained by volvo. Don’t go for an early euro 6 if it goes wrong it’ll be big money, I almost fell into this trap, I went for a late euro 5 on advice from a very good mechanic. One last thing only buy on the strength of your work.

Good advice there.

If you can find one, old shape square Axor 430, but only with manual gearbox, you’ll get change from that £15k too.
Its a simple no frills workhorse and anyone can fix it, lacks kudos so not overpriced.

TheYoungTrucker:

I agree with this the only thing I would say about the Volvos is watch for electrical problems, mine is 62 plate just clicked over 700,000 and the only real problem has been broken wires which can take hours to trace with the related cost. Mine’s also had an adblue pump which is unfortunately a risk with any lorry fitted with this load of toss.

I’m sure we can all relate horror stories of used trucks but I will mention this one. Pal bought a tidy XF which came with a new MoT. Straight out with no issues but on the first PMI it was discovered the rear discs were on the verge of breaking up. After the fitters had fought with it and ended up replacing complete rear hubs the unfortunate owner was presented with a 5000 quid bill… buyer beware.

Great deals to be had on the Renault T series. Its a workhorse with lots of goodies if thats what floats your boat. Volvo driveline and lots of low mileage 460s to choose from.
But my only advice is go for the latest low mileage vehicle you can get for your budget. Renault are doing some good deals with 2015 / 2016 low mileage deals with 12 month warranty Finance at 10% deposit repayments over 36 months. So rather than buy out right for your budget of £15000. Use some of that as a deposit and pay off over 36 months. Just my thoughts on past experience.

waste of time advising if you look at the previous posts.
he only wants advice if it agrees with his own opinion relating to such subjects as work,units,and trailers.
will someone advise him to buy the high milage bulletproof scania he wants?
classic lamb to the slaughter with the guarantee that within a year this will be the pride of the fleet.

ebay.co.uk/itm/eddie-stobar … 7675.l2557

Anybody going ahead with starting as O/D in next 12months needs to go and get their head seen to!!!