which truck?

Hi guys, looking at new(to me) truck, your views please Scania r series 450, or volvo 500, both need to be 6x2, about 2016 at the newest, maintenance will be by a local independant, with approx 7 trips into Austria a month, rest of the time will be UK. TIA.

Sorry that I can’t help with which truck, but I wonder how many read the op and immediately started doing the mental arithmetic for 7 trips per month and just how much “for the rest of the time UK work” would actually be left?

owner driver…should leave a week per month for knocking about the doors and doing a bit of maintenance if your any good at the job?, :wink:

the maoster:
Sorry that I can’t help with which truck, but I wonder how many read the op and immediately started doing the mental arithmetic for 7 trips per month and just how much “for the rest of the time UK work” would actually be left?

Good thought.
Dover / Innsbruck 1200km ? Other (mostly further) destinations available.
Ignoring onenalf trip a week stuff that`s about 5,000km weekly, single owner-driver = hard! Double manned = OK, for two a week. Not my cup of tea, though. But even then, two a week for 3 weeks, 4th week one trip, and service…and catch up on sleep…and dreams…

err volvo or scania is what i’m asking,don’t need to know about the time/distance/how many trips i can do in a week. Been doing it just over 3 years now so thanks for all your concern but i know how to do the job, just asking about trucks,thanks

I run two sites, the second one was a firm I took over a few years ago, all secondhand Scania’s. At home we’d always run contract lease volvo’s. I replaced the 16 Scanias with 450 toplines whist running Volvo globetrotter 500 for the rest of the fleet. After 3 years I replaced them all with Volvos. I then tried a new gen Scania, it’s 3 years old and being replaced in April.

I’m only really bothered about 3 things; whole life cost (inc fuel consumption) reliability (inc back up) driver acceptance. The Scania has better fuel consumption, but not enough to justify the extra cost. When they break down (as all trucks do) Scania depots throughout the country seem to take twice as long as Volvo. Also, drivers complained about the seat and bunk in the scania’s, but when i changed them to Volvos there was uproar.

There is not much to split them up, if one was far better we’d all be using it - which is the most popular on the roads on the run you do?

Me personally, if I was doing the driving I would get the truck i prefer to drive, if it’s a regular lad who has worked for you for a while get the truck he prefers. Nothing worse for the bottom line than a man in a truck he hates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gkdsp:
err volvo or scania is what i’m asking,don’t need to know about the time/distance/how many trips i can do in a week. Been doing it just over 3 years now so thanks for all your concern but i know how to do the job, just asking about trucks,thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hhmmmmmmmm

time for this methinks??

one might think that if one was doing the job for the last 3 years and knew all the ins and outs related to aforementioned job,then one might also have a clue as to what truck to park ones bum in whilst doing it?

attitude problem.jpg

your obv a wind up merchant,petrolmutt, i have never had a scania or volvo and i’m asking for opinions.obv you are too big and too clever to give a proper opinion, ermm perhaps you could direct yourself to the “reality” question on the home page.
btw, thanks for the picture but i really think you should keep your mother/wife under control.

gkdsp:
your obv a wind up merchant,petrolmutt, i have never had a scania or volvo and i’m asking for opinions.obv you are too big and too clever to give a proper opinion, ermm perhaps you could direct yourself to the “reality” question on the home page.
btw, thanks for the picture but i really think you should keep your mother/wife under control.

^^^^^^^^^^^
ermm. :unamused:

obviously your a strong contender for a long and enlightening membership amongst trucknets finest awaits you. :laughing:

knowall attitude personified.jpg

Volvo for me every time. Comfy and great to drive in my option. Nothing can touch a Volvo 500 like for like for pulling & the i shift is far superior.

thanks for the reply.

millsie6379:
Volvo for every time for me. Comfy and great to drive in my option. Nothing can touch a Volvo 500 like for like for pulling & the i shift is far superior.

Volvo to work, Scania for Willy waving.