How long to keep vehicle docs?

I have all the docs for various vehicles in folders, one folder per truck. In that folder for each truck is all the usual stuff, Log book, tacho calibration cert, MOT cert, VTG6/7, inspection sheets and defect notes.

My query is how long do I need to keep the inspection sheets and defect notes after the vehicle is no longer ours. Obviously some of that paperwork goes to the new owner/lease provider but I’m left with some. I need the room, can I just bin it?

Easiest and briefest reply is to have a look at the current Guide to maintain roadworthiness for the minimum periods for the vehicles. Bless the vehicle is integral to an ongoing criminal civil case in which case keep it all or at least copies of the bits you pass on to new owners / scrap
Otherwise it’s a case of some keep for the absolute minimum and others keep for an eternity.

15 or 18 mths rings a bell for inspection records/defects, but if you have sold the vehicle and have some sort of bill of sale, then just keep the bill and bin the rest.

As I understand it for operator licence purposes at 15 months after you sold that vehicle you need to have no maintenance records for it in your possession. Obviously you can dispose of them gradually from month one after you have sold it if you wanted to.
As someone above pointed out you might have some other contractual / legal reason to keep them though.

if your an od they are good interesting thing to look back on in 20 …30 years time :unamused:

I asked the vosa man this and he said if your selling a vehicle all the service history should go with just like selling a car or a van

chaversdad:
I asked the vosa man this and he said if your selling a vehicle all the service history should go with just like selling a car or a van

Thank the lord, I was starting to think I was losing it :open_mouth:

FSH should be able to get you a few bob more when selling, & its something I look for when buying a truck :wink:

The more detailed, the more conscientious the previous operator in my experience :sunglasses: