External TM

Hello,

I currently work as a car transporter driver but was wondering if it is possible/legal to advertise to become an external transport manager on an expenses only basis in order to gain experience.

I’ve no experience in transport management though I passed the exams in 2016 and have never used the qualification. I basically would like to learn how to do this in practice should I wish to do it for remuneration at a later point.

Many thanks

You may find it a challenge to get a company to expose themselves to use you as the TM without some background. Try looking at some agencies who source extension TMs. At least they may give you some support as well.

Its not worth the hassle, the only people that will be interested in your “service” are the ones that wont listen, and you will get dragged through the courts with them…

The TC will want to see a legal contract of employment, not an “expenses” only agreement, and with you being a fulltime transporter jockey, they will give you very little chance to succeed :open_mouth:

I`ve just ditched my last one, far too much trouble & you will also end up on first name terms with your DVSA case worker :unamused:

The old getting experience dilemma, would your company allow you to do a bit of office time, maybe looking at a future move if you want to come off the road?