RFL Rebanding advice

A friend of mine has bought himself a toy. A big one with a V8 in it. His intention is to refurbish it and take it to truck shows. The chap he bought it from used it on stepframes doing abnormal work on STGO cat 2. As such it’s currently banded as “Special Types”. He wants to re band it to PLG, £165 (ish) per year RFL.
A short and frustrating conversation yesterday with a young lady at the DVLA was of no use at all. She was adamant it’ll have to remain banded as ST, as PLG is only for vehicles up to 3.5tn. I’m sure this isn’t the case but I’ve been out of the loop for a couple of years now and would appreciate some guidance from a grown up. :smiley:

Goaty:
A friend of mine has bought himself a toy. A big one with a V8 in it. His intention is to refurbish it and take it to truck shows. The chap he bought from used it on stepframes doing abnormal work on STGO cat 2. As such it’s currently banded as “Special Types”. He wants to re band it to PLG, £165 (ish) per year RFL.
A short and frustrating conversation yesterday with a young lady at the DVLA was of no use at all. She was adamant it’ll have to remain banded as ST, as PLG is only for vehicles up to 3.5tn. I’m sure this isn’t the case but I’ve been out of the loop for a couple of years now and would appreciate some guidance from a grown up. :smiley:

I know that tractor units can still be taxed as PLG.
I don`t know anything about changing from one group to another however.

PLG is indeed only for vehicles under 3500kg, so the DVLA person was correct. You want Private HGV (Tax Class 10) which is £165 a year.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
PLG is indeed only for vehicles under 3500kg, so the DVLA person was correct. You want Private HGV (Tax Class 10) which is £165 a year.

I`ll stand corrected on that.

Roymondo:

So a generic term? Thanks Roymondo.

Does this help?

muckles:
Does this help?

Application to change a vehicle's tax class (V70) - GOV.UK

I’ll report back with the result. Cheers.

Much head scratching at two local post offices today. After a few hours on t’internet it was decided to fill in the change of tax class on the V5. Seems too straightforward. Time will tell.