Family business

Alright I’m new to this forum

I been talking to my grand parents who have farms and industrial sites and used to have lorries and they are aware I want to start my own business and they wanting to help
Me out and of course I need to get everything together I have some farm haulage and my misses dads has a business he got some work for me. I ain’t planning on starting for a long while, but was wondering if anyone has any good advice and that and what the going rate is per mile and per tonne and that? And roughly what to spend on investing into a truck and trailer?

All hell much appreciated and be nice [emoji23][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being nice I’d say get them to help you get an industrial estate tbh .

darlowcyle9:

I been talking to my grand parents who have farms and industrial sites and used to have lorries and they are aware I want to start my own business and they wanting to help Me out and of course I need to get everything together I have some farm haulage and my misses dads has a business he got some work for me. I ain’t planning on starting for a long while, but was wondering if anyone has any good advice and that and what the going rate is per mile and per tonne and that? And roughly what to spend on investing into a truck and trailer?

Have you asked your Grandparents why they got rid of the trucks and stuck with farms and industrial sites?
However if you gave the buildings and land mixing haulage with storage might be a better plan.

darlowcyle9:
All hell much appreciated.

I could give you a few subjects ideas, that you could post on here and all hell would let loose,

Try
Day drivers aren’t real truck drivers.
Why would any sain person sleep in a tin box acting as an unpaid security guard.
Drivers should be unionised
More freight should go by rail.
Scanias are overrated.
:laughing:

muckles:

darlowcyle9:

I been talking to my grand parents who have farms and industrial sites and used to have lorries and they are aware I want to start my own business and they wanting to help Me out and of course I need to get everything together I have some farm haulage and my misses dads has a business he got some work for me. I ain’t planning on starting for a long while, but was wondering if anyone has any good advice and that and what the going rate is per mile and per tonne and that? And roughly what to spend on investing into a truck and trailer?

Have you asked your Grandparents why they got rid of the trucks and stuck with farms and industrial sites?
However if you gave the buildings and land mixing haulage with storage might be a better plan.

darlowcyle9:
All hell much appreciated.

I could give you a few subjects ideas, that you could post on here and all hell would let loose,

Try
Why would any sain person sleep in a tin box acting as an unpaid security guard.
Scanias are overrated.
[emoji38]

Good post, but you left out the obvious “hellish” topic:
“I’m about to buy a lorry, is this a good idea!”

If its grain haulage? forget it, all hassle & hardly any profit.

Every day I fill up with diesel. I think…thank god this isn’t my own truck.
£160 for 99litres & that’s only half a tank!

But good luck, people with farming background usually have ability to diversify to make a few shillings.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DF40:
£160 for 99litres & that’s only half a tank

What are you driving a scooter?

Jimmy McNulty:

DF40:

More like where are you buying it at £1.61 per litre?

gingerfold:

Jimmy McNulty:

DF40:

More like where are you buying it at £1.61 per litre?

Apologies for my fat fingers…£140

DF40:

But good luck, people with farming background usually have ability to diversify to make a few shillings.

Family rents everything out now as they in there 80s they got rid of lorries because dad didn’t want the business as he was busy on the farms and I’m always busy on farms but I know got the farming side but grandad is wanting me to work my way up and earn the haulage side as the farm is going to my siblings and I’ll have the haulage so was asking for general advice I always have 6-7 farms lined up for haulage work (straw,potatoes carrots beetroot in bulkers and tippers) just wanting some more experienced advice that’s all how to go about pricing and what rates are these days and just that? I’m always doing research but any help is better then none.

Plan for the future now - why not plan to take your TM CPC. You may not need it today, but it may help you understand what and how you can do things whilst ensuring you’re staying legit.

Acorn:
Plan for the future now - why not plan to take your TM CPC. You may not need it today, but it may help you understand what and how you can do things whilst ensuring you’re staying legit.

To be honest mage never really thought of that, that’s a very good idea will give me more a insight understanding and a lot Of Help and will need it anyway that’s ideal thank you mate never really thought about the tm Cpc

Wonder if your farm owning siblings will expect your haulage business to give them a favourable “mate’s rate”?
Or will ypu expect them to use you, even if you can’t price match a big efficient established business?
If you’re talking of two truly seperate businesses, do you really have that work?

darlowcyle9:

DF40:

Family rents everything out now as they in there 80s they got rid of lorries because dad didn’t want the business as he was busy on the farms and I’m always busy on farms but I know got the farming side but grandad is wanting me to work my way up and earn the haulage side as the farm is going to my siblings and I’ll have the haulage so was asking for general advice I always have 6-7 farms lined up for haulage work (straw,potatoes carrots beetroot in bulkers and tippers) just wanting some more experienced advice that’s all how to go about pricing and what rates are these days and just that? I’m always doing research but any help is better then none.

If it was me I’d tell Grandad that we all share equally in the proceeds and the liabilities of the farming and haulage side of the operation,with haulage by its nature being a more economically difficult,risky and insecure undertaking.Although getting the CPC first is always a good move and would obviously put you in an advantageous position in getting to grips with the haulage side from the start if he agrees.

muckles:
Try

Oh yes we are. It’s just that we think of the gaffer so he can double shift the truck and make more money out of us.(Not in my case. 1 driver, 1 truck.)

muckles:
Why would any sane person sleep in a tin box acting as an unpaid security guard.

That I do agree on, and thats why I am a day driver.

muckles:

Waste of time. They can’t stick together at any time in the UK, never mind in a union.

muckles:

Of course it should. Then the heathen that hate us so much can collect it at the railheads. Maybe then we would get the respect that we deserve.

muckles:
Scanias are overrated.

Keep telling my mate that in his Topliner which is in Scania for the 4th time in 2 weeks, whereas my DAF keeps on rolling.

Some helpful phrase’s

1 you never see a farmer on bike,or driving an old range rover.
2 There’s no money in road haulage, say all hauliers.

Make of those what you will.

biggriffin:
Some helpful phrase’s

1 you never see a farmer on a bike.

Bugger you beat me to it … :frowning:

Quinny:

muckles:
Scanias are overrated.

Keep telling my mate that in his Topliner which is in Scania for the 4th time in 2 weeks, whereas my DAF keeps on rolling.

Im in a 19 plate XF 480 now. Apparently it was truck of the year last year, you couldn’t tell it by me.

:: Minor niggling defects are already coming out, it rattles like an old Maxi.
:: The seat is too hard.
:: The left foot rest is at too steep an angle so its uncomfortable but takes up so much of the footwell you have no choice but to use it.
:: The bunk is big enough and comfortable enough but is upholstered in what seems like teflon. Bedding, me, paperwork, all slide about with little control.
:: WHAT FORKING KNOBCHEESE PUT THE RADIO AERIAL THERE!!!
:: Side lockers are massive, opening is tiny.
:: Every time you start it, you have to re-set it up the way you want it, (Adaptive cruise, eco-roll, Lane departure off, turn off hill start assist, put the multifunction dash on the preferred screen.)
:: Its so high the air is thin but it still has a bloody transmission tunnel.
:: Steering wheel doesn’t fold up straight, or fold down to a comfortable angle like the Scania, Mercedes and Volvo do.
:: Suzie storage on rear cab wall is cheap and nasty, doesn’t hold an air line with a palm coupling attachment.

So far I’ve done 3 weeks in it and want to torch it. Did 3 months in my R450 not Highline new gen and loved every minute of it, despite the fact it was low roof, had a transmission tunnel and was poverty spec plus fridge and climate control. Also, how often do you see a Scania at the side of the road waiting for a wrecker?

To the OP:

If you hadn’t thought about a TM CPC, more research is needed before you even think about going any further. Its the first and most basic thing. Either you need a CPC yourself or someone who holds one as an external TM. If you hadn’t though of that you do not know enough about the industry to even think about owning your own trucks yet.

It’s not quite the same nowadays compared to when the older generations of the farming family were taking advantage of the ‘Farmers Goods Vehicle’ category and doing a bit of general haulage on the sly. That’s all gone now so you have to run around in a John Deere on red to be able to compete with all the other farmers.