Career change advice

Hello fellow truckers

I am in a bit of a pickle and would like some advice on trucking and the best way forward into making a long and successful career in it.

I currently work in the NHS as self employed however I am in a dead end job and now face ir35 and work with dreaded umbrella companies. I am 28 and have been self employed for approx 5 years and have been successful in terms of financially. I have managed to save good money behind me but this just isn’t for me anymore.

My brother is a class 1 self employed truck driver and has been for over 15 years approx and is very successful at what he does. I would like the advice on here before I go to him. We currently have a family run takeaway which I helped with deliveries a really enjoyed it.
I enjoy working for myself and if i decided to go ahead with class 1 I would definitely be doing self employed work and long distance haulage.

I am in the west Midlands area. Any advice guys on whom to do my training with? Job prospects? How soon can I get work after my license?
And just any general advice what you enjoy about the job etc.

Little more information. I am married I don’t have a mortgage or pay rent; my only expenses are general phone food fuel insurance electric bill so if I can earn £450+ a week I can put most that away.
Is that target attainable?

A long read guys but much appreciated

Thanks

You will see less of the wife!

Seriously, it can be (probably will be) long hours and if you work days you may never be sure what time you’ll be finished so struggle to plan nights out…if you work nights you’ll struggle to find nights out because of your strange sleeping pattern.

Having said that after time you do become a bit more attractive as an experienced driver and the better jobs do start coming your way.

Depending on what your current take home pay is might tell you if it’s worth the throw of the dice. It took me about 3-4 months to recoup my class 2 training costs when adding up my extra income. Once I’d recouped that money I rolled the dice again and got my class 1.

Nights suits my lifestyle (split up with partner, spend all my spare time looking after my lad when the ex is at work) and the money is good. It’s not for everyone but work is always there.

I currently take home £500 a week driving class 2 (salaried, never do more than 48 hours a week), based in the West Midlands, had my class 2 about nine months, class 1 a couple of months. It took some searching and I did some crap work but I’m quite happy what I’m doing right now.

Thanks for the reply.

I prefer self employed so i can pick and choose my jobs. I wouldn’t mind working 50 hours etc over 7 days and some weeks a little less.
I just want that flexibility that I’m making £450 minimum so I can put money away, do something I enjoy doing (driving) and being my own boss.

What is the demand like in the west Midlands region? Is there always work for class 2 and 1 drivers? Can I go straight for my class 1 or do I have to complete class 2 first?

Many thanks

IR35 and all of the implications associated with it apply to lorry driving as well. You’re leaving a job because of it but you’re still going to have to deal with it if you start driving.

I would open a Ltd company get paid directly and sort my own taxes out. Exactly what my brother has been doing for 15 plus years.

Are there many people on here self employed with there own ltd company?

Anyone share there experiences?

Moh-hgv:
I would open a Ltd company get paid directly and sort my own taxes out. Exactly what my brother has been doing for 15 plus years.

Going to move this topic to the owners & fleet forum as you are likely to get more specific advice there

Moh-hgv:

Sounds easy, the reality for a new pass may not be so.

Sounds like you have the perfect advisor in your brother, the answers you hear on here may not be so rosey.

I’d also imagine your brother is the best person to gain a step on the ladder. I presume he has a good name with his customers/agencies, get him to put your name forward otherwise your just another newbie signing on the agencies…and they’ll take advantage!

What is the likelihood there’s enough work demand as a newbie?
I am based in the west Midlands region?

:wink:

Moh-hgv:
What is the likelihood there’s enough work demand as a newbie?
I am based in the west Midlands region?

There’s plenty of work about, some pays better than others, but as a newbie who wants to pick and choose there jobs from an agency…virtually zero.

It’s more likely an agency will offer you Sun-Thurs/Tues-Sat work with a big company and twice a week you’ll be contacted to say your not required (if your lucky, otherwise you’ll turn up to work and told your not needed). The agency needs people ready to go if the company wants them, if they don’t they will loose their contract.

If you turn down work more than once without good reason (and they believe that reason) you’ll be right on the bottom of the pile!

Moh-hgv:
Thanks for the reply.

I prefer self employed so i can pick and choose my jobs. I wouldn’t mind working 50 hours etc over 7 days and some weeks a little less.
I just want that flexibility that I’m making £450 minimum so I can put money away, do something I enjoy doing (driving) and being my own boss.

What is the demand like in the west Midlands region? Is there always work for class 2 and 1 drivers? Can I go straight for my class 1 or do I have to complete class 2 first?

Many thanks

My advice to you is to forget the self-employed route to begin with. The company I work for employs several hundred drivers, not one of them is self employed, we won’t consider any self employed drivers under any circumstances. As a new pass driver you will not be in a position to pick and choose your jobs, shifts, who you work for, and so on. Your best course is to get a job with a company that takes new pass drivers and gives them whatever training they need. There are companies that take new pass drivers, but on a PAYE employed basis. Some companies will offer you shift patterns that fit in with your situation (we do). Sorry to be brutally honest and it might be what you don’t want to read, but you need a dose of realism.