Career change advice

Moh-hgv:
Thanks for the reply.

I prefer self employed so i can pick and choose my jobs. I wouldn’t mind working 50 hours etc over 7 days and some weeks a little less.
I just want that flexibility that I’m making £450 minimum so I can put money away, do something I enjoy doing (driving) and being my own boss.

What is the demand like in the west Midlands region? Is there always work for class 2 and 1 drivers? Can I go straight for my class 1 or do I have to complete class 2 first?

Many thanks

My advice to you is to forget the self-employed route to begin with. The company I work for employs several hundred drivers, not one of them is self employed, we won’t consider any self employed drivers under any circumstances. As a new pass driver you will not be in a position to pick and choose your jobs, shifts, who you work for, and so on. Your best course is to get a job with a company that takes new pass drivers and gives them whatever training they need. There are companies that take new pass drivers, but on a PAYE employed basis. Some companies will offer you shift patterns that fit in with your situation (we do). Sorry to be brutally honest and it might be what you don’t want to read, but you need a dose of realism.