Trailer Testing

Quick question, a trailer is sent by an operator to a maintenance provider who are contracted to carry out a pre-MOT inspection and present the vehicle for test. The provider are instructed to repair a defect but do a shoddy job, still present the trailer for test, it fails and is issued a PG9. The trailer isn’t specified on an O Licence … should the PG9 be issued to the operator of the vehicle presenting the trailer for test?

It will be, same problem as Ferry Trailers, they are homeless until it comes to DVSA, then it’s the UK operators fault, even if you have never seen it before.

Different priorities on the mainland of Europe to the little island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will go against the vehicle reg and operators licence disk in the screen at the time.

I know because we had a customer’s trailer at the ATF and one of the airbags had got a shard of metal in somehow on the trip over and the bag exploded when the wheel dropped into the brake rollers.

If the maintenance co managed to talk them into otherwise they did bloody well.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Except the DVSA decided to bend their own rules in this instance and issued the PG9 to the operator, subsequently they’re proceeding to investigate the operator in great detail.

The maintenance provider has since investigated the failure, identified what occurred, accepted total liability and refunded the invoice for the trailer. Unfortunately, the damage is done and there is nothing that the operator can do as there is no right of appeal against a PG9…

When the issue of the PG9 to the operator rather than the providor who presented the trailer was questioned during the DVSA visit to the operator they wouldn’t answer the question.

Dealer 2nd hand stock units won’t be on an O licence so all get away with it if the trailer is not on the system?

It must be at least ten years since presenting under trade plates was banned.