5t GVW vehicle

Asking on behalf of a mate (Honest Guv)

He might be asked to drive a vehicle over 3.5t GVW but under 7.5 GVW, which is kitted out with work equipment ie, no goods will be carried.
He has a full car licence before 1994 (?) so he has grandfather rights re 7.5t GVW.

The question is, will he need a CPC and a Digi Card to drive this vehicle ?

Thanks in advance.

PM

From what youv said id say yes to both.

3.5t+ so tacho should be fitted. Digicard

And cpc because its 3.5t+ so a cpc is needed.

However there are a whole host of reasons why the above could be incorrect.

Depends on if driving is the main job, how far from base, what the tools are for. Commercial or personal. There are a lot of exceptions.

Pennineman:
Asking on behalf of a mate (Honest Guv)

He might be asked to drive a vehicle over 3.5t GVW but under 7.5 GVW, which is kitted out with work equipment ie, no goods will be carried.
He has a full car licence before 1994 (?) so he has grandfather rights re 7.5t GVW.

The question is, will he need a CPC and a Digi Card to drive this vehicle ?

Thanks in advance.

PM

He will need to use the tachograph so will need a driver card.

Whether or not he needs a CPC card depends on whether his main job is to drive the vehicle or to operate the equipment fitted to the vehicle.

If his main job is to drive the vehicle he will need a DQC, if his main job is to operate the equipment he won’t need a DQC.

Sent from my mobile.

1. I asked a similar question and was told this,

Snap On Tools drives into the yard, 5.5t panel van, all the fitters run to him like the drugs have arrived, one fitter comes out carrying a spanner and calling it “my precious”

A. Does the Snap On man need a CPC?

1. Same van drives into the yard, all the fitters run to him like the drugs have arrived, 3 fitters come out carrying a large Tool Chest with wheels. They are all calling it “ my precious”

B. Does the Snap On man need a CPC?

It’s the same van, same driver, same garage, different day!

On the first visit, the van is a mobile showroom/shop/office.

On the second visit, the van is delivering goods!

C. Are Scaffold Poles Tools or Goods?

The scaffolder is a skilled worker, the lorry driver isn’t, he is just a labourer with a licence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for the replies.

The vehicle will be travelling within a two hour (approx.) radius of its base then going off road while doing its actual on site work apparently.

Cheers

PM.

I would say it’s a strong enough argument for exemption that even if they disagreed it was a valid exemption they’d just tell you to do the training and would be exceptionally unlikely to have an appetite for prosecution for fear of losing.

Own Account Driver:
I would say it’s a strong enough argument for exemption that even if they disagreed it was a valid exemption they’d just tell you to do the training and would be exceptionally unlikely to have an appetite for prosecution for fear of losing.

Thank you O.A.D. I shall pass the info on.

He will have the DCPC paid by his employer but he doesn’t want to do the course unless he has to!

Regards

PM.

If he stays within a 100km radius then I’d say he’s exempt from the the EU regs, so no digi card needed, but will come under GB domestic regs, but doesn’t drive for more than 4 hours in a day and stays within 50km radius of base, then no records are required, if records are required then you can use a logbook. On a day when going over 100km then EU regs apply for that day and you’ll need to comply with the weekly rest requirements.

Also exempt from the dcpc so long as driving isn’t his main duty