ABS

Can an arctic tractor unit without abs , as it was built in 1978 , tow a trailer with abs ?

Peterbilt:
Can an arctic tractor unit without abs , as it was built in 1978 , tow a trailer with abs ?

I’ve moved your question to the forum where I think it will receive more views and responses.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

I would say no as most trailers have a sign on them telling you not to leave lead unplugged ,
Saying that we shunt our trailers with out lead plugged in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If its EBS (count the wires out the back of the ISO suzie socket 7 for EBS and 5 foor ABS) then maybe yes as the EBS also receives a signal from the footbrake light signal this may downrate the EBS to ABS but at least you wont have bouncy wheels!

Peterbilt:

Iirc when I took my 1988 ERF for mot with a modern trailer the problem was I’ve not got EBS but also not making anymore than 8 bar max so could only test the unit not the trailer .

IIRC there used tpo be an official poster about this, but the DVSA seem to think that older vehicles just don’t exist any longer. All I can find is this from 2003 which doesn’t help a great deal.

transportsfriend.org/pdf_fi … du/abs.pdf

Peterbilt:

Yes, if it’s say a nineties or early noughties trailer it’ll just potentially not have ABS without a lead to the socket - although some may still have ABS functioning and power themselves up off the brake light circuit.

If it’s a later EBS trailer it’s potentially more problematic as load sensing is controlled by electronics and not a valve so it may lock up all the time and wreck the tyres with no ABS susie plugged in.

A friend runs three drawbar outfits on straw. One of the prime movers,which is only occasionally used is from 1988.
It got pulled whilst drawing one of the more modern trailers which had all the ABS/EBS systems and the man got very upset. The usual ensued, Go to jail, Do not pass go, stuff. He had to send a newer truck to collect the trailer, and had s very through maintenance investigation at a later date.
So, I reckon, computer says no.

Own Account Driver:
Yes, if it’s say a nineties or early noughties trailer it’ll just potentially not have ABS without a lead to the socket - although some may still have ABS functioning and power themselves up off the brake light circuit.

Yes, we had a 1999 trailer that had ABS but no ABS lead so must have drawn power from something. Just scrapped it so can’t tell you any more :laughing:

Going back about six or seven years there was a picture in VoSA’s ‘Moving On’, which I cannot find anymore, showing an RTA involving an HGV which was prmarliy about connecting the EBS suzie, but IIRC there was a bit about which units could couple to which trailers.