Transport Manager Course

Hi, I’m new here looking for some advice / guidance

I work as a transport despatch clerk for a well known UK operator, I have some albeit very little knowledge about transport, I’m looking to further my career by taking a TM course.

Can anyone advise how long the course is, I’m willing to take the course in my own time (have to book a course and pre book holiday)

Do I have to have a medical (I’m not interested in driving / obtaining a class 1)

Looking online (Google) numerous operators offer this course although I’m not sure on reliability / suitability) therefore, can anyone recommend a reputable supplier within the Birmingham area

Looking at fee’s via Google, I’m anticipating to be paying around £1500 for the course if the companies via Google are correct (I’m willing to self-fund)

Appreciate any advice / guidance

My course lasted two weeks with the exam the following Friday. No medical, it’s purely an academic exam. £1,500 is probably about the going rate nowadays. Can’t help with recommendations in your area, I did mine in Kent. Someone may come along who can help with that.

Thank you Harry,

I’m a little confused, hoping someone can advise me, do I need to do a TM course, or can I do a CPC course without having to do a TM course.

I see a lot of vacancies on the internet within a transport environment requesting the applicant be international CPC qualified

I’m looking for a 1st step on the ladder, so, maybe a TM course can be done later after doing a CPC course if that’s possible

You are talking about the Operator’s CPC course which is the qualification required to stand as the suitably qualified person on an Operator’s Licence. So it is essentially a transport manager course (although it is possible to be a “transport manager” without an Operator’s CPC if your duties do not include being named on the licence). There is no other transport manager course as far as I’m aware.

Thanks Harry,

I’ve applied for a couple of external supervisor / office transport manager roles, advertisement stated reporting to the TM

Unfortunately, not successful, feedback is limited, but apparently, I don’t have the requirements required, especially in relation to driving regulations

Transport Manager Courses normally run on a quarterly basis. with Exams taking taking place in March June September December.

Different providers structure it in different ways “a crash course” or couple of days 5 weeks prior. Depending.

If your looking Birmingham Area. In Herefordshire they have Nick Evans who is good who runs courses can be reached on 01432 345556.

Adam, Hereford’s too far away unfortunately,

Other members, maybe a crash cousre for a couple of day’s is what I need

Career Builder:
Adam, Hereford’s too far away unfortunately,

Other members, maybe a crash cousre for a couple of day’s is what I need

You’ll need more than a couple of days, it’s an RSA level 3 exam, which is the equivalent of an NVQ3 or an A level.

You can do it by home study if you are sufficiently self-disciplined.

I did the RHA ten day course at Peterborough, at the time (2016) it was £1145 plus VAT plus £101.90 for the exam fee.

I found it excellent and for me much easier than home study, everyone’s different though.

Thanks Harry / Wally

A classroom environment would be more beneficial for me,

Harry, forgive my ignorance, do I need to complete the TM course?

If so, what’s with the CPC requirement on job adverts, or is TM / CPC course the same thing?

TM with little transport knowledge :wink:

Career Builder you seem a little confused about the various CPC’s and Transport Managers.
A Transport Manager is the job title, the CPC (often called operators CPC) is the qualification you’ll need to be named as the Transport Manager on an O’licence, the Drivers CPC (DCPC) is something those who actually drive need.

You do seem to lack a bit of knowledge of the industry, and being a company nominated Transport Manager on their O’licence come with some serious responsibilities, where a lack of understanding could get you into serious trouble.

This shouldn’t put you off trying, but I would also be looking as a job assisting a transport manager, learning more about the job and the responsibilities that go with it, as although the course covers a great deal I doubt a 2 week course would prepare you to take on the job without the practical experience.

Career Builder:
Thank you Harry,

I’m a little confused, hoping someone can advise me, do I need to do a TM course, or can I do a CPC course without having to do a TM course.

I see a lot of vacancies on the internet within a transport environment requesting the applicant be international CPC qualified

I’m looking for a 1st step on the ladder, so, maybe a TM course can be done later after doing a CPC course if that’s possible

Hi Career Builder,

You’ve had some great answers so far, so I’ll try to help a bit more…

I’ll try a jargon buster first. :smiley:

In this case, CPC means Certificate of Professional Competence, for which you must take (and pass) some exams to gain the qualification.

Being the holder of a CPC Certificate means that you can be a “nominated” TM ( = Transport Manager) on an Operator’s Licence.
As mentioned above, the buck stops with the “nominated” TM if anything goes wrong.

At this stage of your career, it looks like you’re looking for some advancement, which is a good thing!!

You’re applying for jobs in a position that reports to the TM at the company that you’d be working for, which effectively means that the company are looking for somebody who has a benchmarked level level of skill and knowledge in order that you can operate as (possibly) a supervisor, or some other position that needs a certain level of knowledge.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thank you for all the in-depth replies.

Unfortunately, my line manager ™ is not very co-operative or supportive with my career interests, for me to advance in my current role appears not to be an option with my current employer, hence, why I’m looking to progress outside (at my expense)

I’m willing to take a CPC course to obtain the required certificates (although I have no interest in HGV driving) finding a reputable trainer in Birmingham is challenging, given some reviews on Google against some training companies

Have a look at the RHA website, they run various courses all over the UK, they may run one near enough to Birmingham for you to attend.

Personally I think learning the CPC course in a classroom environment is better than doing so on your own, not just the self-discipline thing, but if there is anything that needs clarifying, you can ask the teacher there and then.

Good luck.

Edit

rhaonline.co.uk/courses/list.php?id=28

Yes they say they have courses in the W Midlands.

rhaonline.co.uk/courses/course.php?id=65

Tuesday 20th Aug 2019 11 days Wolverhampton

Thursday 7th Nov 2019 11 days Wolverhampton

Excellent, thank you albion

At the risk of confusing you further I wonder if a one day Driver CPC on Driver Hours and Tachograph regulations might be a good idea as a primer for the TM CPC.

You wouldn’t need to pay the upload fee as you haven’t a C1 or greater licence entitlement. It won’t count towards your TM CPC but would just give you more time and instruction on that subject area. As you pointed out that has been identified as a weakness in your interview debriefs so it should help you present stronger.

That way going into the TM CPC course you also would have a better understanding of that subject area - which accounts for a big chunk of marks in the exam, both written and multiple choice.

It could be £70-£80 well spent.

Hi gazza

gazzaman58:
I wonder if a one day Driver CPC on Driver Hours and Tachograph regulations might be a good idea as a primer for the TM CPC, It could be £70-£80 well spent.

Excellent, that’s exactly what I’m looking for at this stage of my career, just didn’t make it clear in my postings :blush: :blush:

Far to in-depth at this stage for me to take on a TM course

Now, just need to find a reputable trainer in Birmingham

I would also suggest downloading

GV262 gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles
gov.uk/government/publicati … worthiness
gov.uk/government/publicati … guide-gv74

These three documents cover drivers hours, maintenance and applying and maintaining your operators licence.

A big chunk of being a TM

Hey gazza

I’ve managed to book a one day Driver CPC on Driver Hours and Tachograph regulations, at this stage, this is suitable for me, I may progress on a TM course once I become more knowledgeable.

Thanks to all for your advice & recommendations