Inspections and Repairers

Does anyone here ever get problems with inspection sheets being given in at a decent time?

We seem to wait weeks for ours, so bloody annoying

6(?) Weekly inspection sheets from ministry approved garage?
You’re paying them money, so tell them what you want.
Or driver daily walk round sheets?
You’re paying them money…

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Baz94:
Does anyone here ever get problems with inspection sheets being given in at a decent time?

We seem to wait weeks for ours, so bloody annoying

Should be ready when you collect the truck anything else and they are taking the pee.

The Enforcement Officers and TC now expect these to be issued when you collect the vehicle with evidence that you have taken action on any of the points raised on it, as well as seeing if your drivers are raising defects that should have been picked up prior to the inspection.

Mine are emailed over within a hour of the lorry or trailer leaving the workshop, that’s via R2C

Thats how i know my trucks ready to collect, i drop it off friday night and usually get the email from Dafs about 10am Saturday morning so i go straight over and pick it up, been like that from day 1

Thanks for the replies folks.

The Drivers do their daily walkarounds and fill their defect reports without fail.
The inspection sheets have taken longer for some reason.

I think I will have to start insisting on them being left in the cab or posted on the same day as he trucks are returned as it was getting silly.

Thanks for the relies, much appreciated!

The important thing for me is the Inspection sheet has a box for the fitter to sign off the vehicle a being roadworthy and safe to use.

Now call me a cynic but I wonder if I had a crash that was caused by something they did or missed would the fitter grab that incomplete sheet and scribble his signature on it and take responsibility or would you get the blame for taking an unroadworthy vehicle?

I think we can all guess who would be carrying the can for that!

The fitter responsible for safety inspections on the tipper involved in the fatal runaway crash at Bath is in jail. So no the buck does not stop with the driver.

cav551:
The fitter responsible for safety inspections on the tipper involved in the fatal runaway crash at Bath is in jail. So no the buck does not stop with the driver.

Because he signed off the inspection as being roadworthy.

It’s not the driver who would get the kicking over this its the operator. If the operator takes a vehicle from the repairer without it having been signed off as roadworthy then should anything happen he is first in the queue. Unless the mechanical fault is obvious to the driver collecting it he would not be at fault, which was also the case in the Bath case.

Its an interesting point as to where the driver sits in this. I would suggest if he collects a vehicle as instructed and his walk round check doesn’t detect anything and say the brakes fail - if the sheet is signed off as roadworthy then as per Bath its the fitter. If the fitter has not signed off the vehicle then its the operator for not checking that he is sending the driver to collect a roadworthy vehicle.

If the driver collected a vehicle signed off as roadworthy when it had a bald tyre then I think the driver would have a good defence that a person more qualified than him had inspected the vehicle before use and declared it as safe.

Not signed off but with a bald tyre is muddier but again there is an expectation from the driver that the vehicle has been declared safe to use. Of course if the fitter then had not signed it off because of the bald tyre its possible back to the operator for sending the driver out in a unroadworthy vehicle.