Being a transport manager

HI all

I work for a cracking logistics company in Kent and we have taken on a couple of 18T lorries.
We have also taken on te 2 drivers that worked on them while at the other company and we all get on great which is always a good thing (I am the Warehouse manager).
I wanted to learn to drive one but after all the stories I have heard, I know I wouldn’t have the patience with the public (I generally dislike the public)

Taking on the lorries, obviously we have to have a Transport manager which we have as a sub contractor.

We decided that rather than have someone come in, I would take the CPC course and be our transport manager.

My question… though its been long winded, is why is there a general dislike for TM’s?
I am only going for it because we HAVE TO have one.

Do drivers generally dislike Transport managers or is it only certain managers for some reason?

Just curious.

Thanks all.

As a TM, you have a HUGE responsibility, and that is your first concern. If you don’t keep it legal, then at some point expect to have tea and biscuits with the TC. Sadly, a lot of drivers don’t realise that you have this responsibility, and sometimes think that you are trying to do them over, and that you are trying to make their life hell. Unfortunately, majority don’t know what is involved, and think that being a TM is an easy ride. Far from it. You have to make decisions that they won’t like, but make them you must. It’s then you will find out that your friends before, will no longer be your friend. Tough. It’s your neck on the block and not theirs. If you have to go down the disciplinary route, then you need to do it.

In my opinion, your priority is, the O licence, the customer and lastly, as much as it pains me to say so, the drivers. the first 2 nearly, but not quite, go hand in hand, as without one, you don’t have the other, but the licence will always come first. The first time you ■■■■ up, expect the powers that be, to keep watching you. Keep it clean, and they will leave you alone. Never be afraid to contact them for advice though, and if you do, always insist they e.mail you any advice because you then have a paper trail. It is surprising how one piece of advice, can be interpreted differently by different VOSA bods.

Ken.

Not all TM’s are dicks, but the ones that are generally come from one of two backgrounds, the first is the jumped up git that has managerial experience but no transport knowledge, his work ethics are based on his KPI’s and cost effective streamlining, which on paper work but in practise can’t get out of the yard without a problem occurs, the second is the ex driver who has forgotten where he started his career, he’s come out of the saddle and become a manager and unapproachable, refuses any form of driver input because he was once a driver and knows better.

If you do decide to take the course, always take time to listen to drivers especially if they can offer a solution should there be delays down the road, missing out a delivery and making the others is better than missing them all, it can always be replanned

Thanks for the replies guys

Ive had some chats with out interim TM and understand what would be involved. I do find it all interesting too (Sad as that sounds) but appreciate how we have to be on the ball.
I have had a couple of times where I’ve had to pull people up on infringements, at first there was a bit of cockyness with it but when I pointed out it would be THEM that would have to pay the fines, not the company, it hit home that actually, the company isn’t trying to be power crazed, we just want everything squeaky clean.

To be fair, I like the guys we have and they are good blokes so while we do want to keep on things for the sake of the company and indeed, keeping the TC off our back, we also want a good relationship with the drivers. They do work hard and are decent guys.
Keeping the balance is tricky but worth doing.

I have got the coursebook and christ, it is a lot! There is stuff there that I don’t get why you would need to learn it unless you were an owner but ho hum.

I do want to do this and do want to keep things good with our guys.
I am a manager and have worked under power crazed morons but I try not to be like that.
Just keep things going well, legal and hopefully with the staff onside.
Its a challenge but keeps life interesting :smiley:

I play rugby with one of them and he knows that I am not trying to give im grief.
Even the intrim TM has commented how we struck gold with these boys.

We are a small company so strive to make sure everyone is happy while at the same time, doing things the right way.

I think what most drivers complain about is the person dishing out the work, which on the large logistics companies is a planner not the TM. For some drivers it’s just because somebody is actually making sure they do something for their pay, although there are no doubt as many muppets in the office as on the road.
However for a small fleet as the TM not only are you looking after compliance but making sure the trucks make a profit or in an own account fleet don’t cost so much to operate they bring the company down, although my experience of own account fleets is you’re also trying to explain to senior management that a 44t artic cost a bit more to maintain than a family car. :confused:
I think with only 2 HGV drivers of known quantity you shouldn’t have too many problems as long as you also remember to communicate with them and trust them, they’re your staff on the ground and might have a better idea what’s going than you at the end of the phone, they also might be able to deal with a situation with a customer better as they are with them in person, which shouldn’t be a problem provided you keep each other informed, also if they feel trusted and valued you’re less likely to lose them to another company.
The problems comes when you get a load more drivers, then you have to work out which you can leave to do the job and which need more supervision.

You’re already half way there, because you appreciate you have good staff and if you never forget that good staff do not grow on trees but are an invaluable asset you will be fine.
Good staff also appreciate a good boss, respect being a two way street, mutual respect and you are straight with them then when, as you’ve found, you need to pull someone up, a sensible discussion and it was all sorted amicably.

Good drivers can be left to get on with their work, respect thing again, if you employ a wrong un or an idiot it isn’t the fault of the other staff its yours as a manager and no reflection on them, so sort the wrong un out don’t be tempted as happens in too many places to go the easy route of dumbing the job down for everyone else with memos making everyone else change how they work because the company failed to take action to curb or get rid of someone who should not have been employed in the first place…this tends to increase in frequency if allowed to happen, and ends up demoralising your good staff.

Work should be dished out fairly, some drivers are better at some sort of work than others and vice versa, if you can manage to dish the work out in a way that each drivers does what they enjoy, or are good at, then that will be a happy ship indeed.
Sadly its true that good donkeys go best loaded, if the company grows you often find you’ve got a ■■■■■■■■ of reliable drivers who will do their best, and what can prove to be a growing minority of game players and chancers, in too many places they load the good donkeys up too much and allow the game players to get away with murder.
Much of this depends on how people are paid but if you take the ■■■■ too much out of good reliable people, sooner or later some other company will spot that band of first class drivers and poach them all from you, i have seen this happen myself and i was one who jumped ship along with about a dozen others, none of us regretted the move.

Good staff don’t want special treatment, they aint snowflakes, all they ask for is a fair crack of the whip, and they cheesed of quickly when the sick notes, can’t do this or that, childcare crews, etc earn just as much for doing half the work or hours of the people you would literally be lost without.

Your good drivers might be the sort to take a pride in their vehicles, if so help them to help you by providing a wash down facility (or allow them to use one that is suitable) and provide a vacuum cleaner and any cleaning materials they need, engine oil and windscreen washer fluid available, keep bulbs and other regular items needed in stock, most good drivers can be trusted to and would rather fix ongoing things like this instead of wasting a couple of hours sat at the workshops.

I’m just a driver by the way, and this is just my tuppenceworth.

Thanks for the replies folks, very much appreciated!

There seems to be familiar themes going on here which are all good to hear.
We are lucky with our guys and after hearing a lot about some places and a minority of drivers, I am grateful for the guys we have.

“trying to explain to senior management that a 44t artic cost a bit more to maintain than a family car.”
I did chuckle at that lol. Again, we are lucky because our MD is very hands on and down to Earth, he also listens to everyone and knows what needs to be paid out.
He is very much FOR the lorries and very on the ball with wanting everything compliant so it is good that I don’t have any battles there.

Thanks again for all your imput, it is hugely appreciated :slight_smile:

I’ve been TM of a small fleet for a couple of years (5 in total) and my advise is to paper trail everything to show you are actively trying to keep compliant.
I do regular toolbox talks with the drivers on things like driving hours, infringements, daily checks etc and get them to sign to say it happened.
The same for risk assessments and method statements, they have to sign to say its received and keep the copy.

I’m the same as you, my drivers are very good and by n large are left to their own devises but if anything should go wrong the TC can see you have done practical things to stop it happening.

Also, make sure you keep everything filed in an organised fashion. If you are inspected they love to have all your maintenance records, defect reports, D14’s etc straight away. If you are having spend 20mins searching through 5 piles of paper for June 2018’s service report they are likely to get annoyed with you.

If the wagons aren’t based at the yard overnight I recommend installing a unit that downloads the tacho cards remotely, that way you can keep on top of the driving hours and make sure there’s no issues there.
The same for daily checks. Get signed up with a company so the drivers can digitally do their daily checks. You can log in to make sure the checks are done but you get emailed straight away if the driver reports a defect. I use motorway buddy for a couple of £ a month per vehicle but the RHA and plenty of others offer similar things.

Remember, there are lots of good people on this site who are willing to give good advice if asked so don’t hesitate to do it.
They’ve helped me over the last couple of years.

Good luck mate and try to “enjoy” it.

Thanks Castillidie, I appreciate your reply.

I have been getting into the habbit of filing and recording things.
I do want to make sure that when asked for something, I can get it instantly, I hate searching through paperwork.

Thanks again, much appreciated.