Scania order books closed until after the Big B

Trying to order our new truck at the moment and was all set for a new gen but we’ve hit a snag.

Finalising specification and just sent a couple of tweeks into Scania Rental to get the final price sorted:

Cab in all white - we will vinyl wrap the bits we want black.
11.5t rear axle

Chased up the price earlier in the week as we want to get the order in. 11 months build times at the moment on V8s after all… Was told Scania wouldn’t be taking any orders until after brexit and orders placed before and not delivered until after wouldn’t be price protected! I of course said that if you whack the price up just because we are no longer house sharing with the other 28 I wouldn’t be ordering and would go find a manufacturer who hadn’t or get a used one.

So first of all - if you’ve ordered but not got before brexit, check your price. I know that Volvo for example have a field full of FHs. May not be a Scanny V8 but if its a couple of hundred a week cheaper…

Second - If you are thinking about ordering a truck, bad luck, you cant because head office are not taking orders from the UK at the moment.

nsmith1180:
I of course said that if you whack the price up just because we are no longer house sharing with the other 28 I wouldn’t be ordering and would go find a manufacturer who hadn’t or get a used one.

"Nigel Butler, UK commercial director at Renault Trucks.
“Trading on the basis of World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules and tariffs could significantly affect prices,” he warned.
“If we have a hard Brexit then import tariffs on new trucks are likely to be in the region of 11% to 16%. If this proves to be the case then it could lead to a lot of pre-buying as customers try to avoid a hike in operating costs.”

“Robin Easton, DAF Trucks UK managing director, suggests that without a post-Brexit EU/UK trade agreement imported trucks could face tariffs of between 10% and 20%. He adds that, in his view, leaving the EU is not in Britain’s best economic interests and hopes that the country will do a sensible deal with Brussels.”

Its not them upping their price. They dont know how much tax will/wont be on the trucks, so cant give a hard figure.
Since no-one knows what is happening it does seem they cant give a firm price. No reason they couldnt offer a deal at “X pounds, plus any percentage necessary due to Brexit”?
Dunno how many would sign up though?

I understand that Mercedes have stock trucks available as well as Volvo. So far at the 09th March I’ve seen just one ‘19’ plate vehicle, and that was a Scania today.

Aren`t DAFs assembled in Leyland for this market ?

Thats what I was told by one of their salesmen last year, and seeing as zero tariffs are applicable on parts, its only the finished truck that gets taxed, which wouldn’t happen for a UK customer surely ?…

Talking of Scania, I was quoted March 2019 delivery back in June 2018 :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:
Aren`t DAFs assembled in Leyland for this market ?

Thats what I was told by one of their salesmen last year, and seeing as zero tariffs are applicable on parts, its only the finished truck that gets taxed, which wouldn’t happen for a UK customer surely ?…

Talking of Scania, I was quoted March 2019 delivery back in June 2018 :open_mouth:

“Robin Easton, DAF Trucks UK managing director, suggests that without a post-Brexit EU/UK trade agreement imported trucks could face tariffs of between 10% and 20%. He adds that, in his view, leaving the EU is not in Britain’s best economic interests and hopes that the country will do a sensible deal with Brussels.
That said, Easton admits that the lack of a deal could give DAF something of an advantage because it builds vehicles on this side of the Channel at its Leyland, Lancashire, assembly plant.
“There would be a duty of 4.5% on the components we import,” he said, which would be significantly lower than the duty on imported trucks that all its competitors would face.
“Under WTO rules we would fare better than our rivals,” he added.”
commercialfleet.org/news/tr … uck-bosses

nsmith1180:
Trying to order our new truck at the moment and was all set for a new gen but we’ve hit a snag.

Finalising specification and just sent a couple of tweeks into Scania Rental to get the final price sorted:

11.5t rear axle

Chased up the price earlier in the week as we want to get the order in. 11 months build times at the moment on V8s after all… Was told Scania wouldn’t be taking any orders until after brexit and orders placed before and not delivered until after wouldn’t be price protected! I of course said that if you whack the price up just because we are no longer house sharing with the other 28 I wouldn’t be ordering and would go find a manufacturer who hadn’t or get a used one.

So first of all - if you’ve ordered but not got before brexit, check your price. I know that Volvo for example have a field full of FHs. May not be a Scanny V8 but if its a couple of hundred a week cheaper…

Second - If you are thinking about ordering a truck, bad luck, you cant because head office are not taking orders from the UK at the moment.

I’ve ordered two last week and asked about the above and have had it confirmed that it wont be an issue as the vehicles have been ordered before brexit

8 legger:

nsmith1180:

11.5t rear axle

I’ve ordered two last week and asked about the above and have had it confirmed that it wont be an issue as the vehicles have been ordered before brexit

Are you buying, leasing or renting?

We are looking at a 35 month deal with Scania Rental. Maybe they are viewing it as an internal sale and feel they can avoid the risk.

So the chicken factory is stopping orders because of Brexit, so how do they think there going to get all them tang spec 730’s to the south then?

Sorry Mr you can’t have ya 730 cause it’s got to come thro the uk.

nsmith1180:

8 legger:

nsmith1180:

11.5t rear axle

Are you buying, leasing or renting?

We are looking at a 35 month deal with Scania Rental. Maybe they are viewing it as an internal sale and feel they can avoid the risk.

Mine are bought, can’t really spec a rental for what we do and lease isn’t viable. Can’t comment on rental or lease sorry.

Personally i cant see the logic in renting a top end Scania at a premium price, the way they hold there value i can understand why people pay the price to own them outright but why pay over the odds to rent one when a Volvo /Daf/Merc would do the same

chaversdad:
Personally i cant see the logic in renting a top end Scania at a premium price, the way they hold there value i can understand why people pay the price to own them outright but why pay over the odds to rent one when a Volvo /Daf/Merc would do the same

The 520 is only about £20 a week more than the 500 and the extra torque is why we are going for it, (assuming we can EVER get a price with our changes).

As for renting, its actually cheaper on a full R&M than leasing and doesn’t have the 3x monthly deposit leasing companies like. I don’t envisage this truck being the fleet flagship, but the template for all future models. When the time comes for a celebration truck it will likely be a fully owned S730, unless I can afford a new T-Cab at the time! I think, and my experienced driver agrees with me, that given the work we do, having the extra grunt of the V over the 13 6IL will probably save us more than the price difference just in 12th gear hill climbing alone.

To the o/p
I think scania should have some regard for the V8 merchants who want too spend best part of 4k making there ■■■■■ trucks sound like they’ve got a throat problem!scania were the best 20yrs ago but not anymore but still sting you for 30k, I’m on about the r series her ,the new one does look the part and inside looks good,

nedbro:
To the o/p
I think scania should have some regard for the V8 merchants who want too spend best part of 4k making there [zb] trucks sound like they’ve got a throat problem!scania were the best 20yrs ago but not anymore but still sting you for 30k, I’m on about the r series her ,the new one does look the part and inside looks good,

I respectfully disagree.

The V8 merchants you describe above would spend 4k making the worlds best truck look or sound different. For some its interior comfort, for others its blingin and singin, for others they are happy with a fleet spec Axor. Different strokes for different folks.

As for the R Series. At the time it went on to runout it was, for all intents and purposes, a 20 year old truck. There had been cosmetic and mechanical updates but it was getting very long in the tooth.

When you compare to the rest of the range, the New Generation Scania is the stand out truck. DAF have been peddling the same basic truck now for longer than I have been alive, Volvo set the bar with the current FH but have let the grass grow under them. MAN and Renault are fighting in the fleet market with a truck which is good enough to appeal to some owner drivers but will never be a range topper.

Mercedes-Benz is the joker in the pack. Again, they moved things on with the MP-4 Actros but even the new truck doesn’t do enough to regain ground on Scania for cab comfort and driver appeal. Mirrorcam is a good idea, but its going to roll out across the competition faster than a double diffuser in F1 so the one big selling point of the new Actros will soon be countered. After that all you have is a couple of touch screens, whose reliability has yet to be proven, in a 2012 body with posh lights. Merc went early and showed its cards. Scania waited, took the short term pain of being out of date for 3-4 years, in order to produce a truck which was streets ahead for the remaining 15 years of the model cycle.

Presently running an S500 which has had reliability and dealer back up issues.
But.
It is a fantastic truck to live and work in, with very good fuel returns.
Have ordered it’s replacement a couple of months back, an S650. £5k deposit paid.
Brexit was on the order small print and made clear by salesman.

My issue will be not so much the percentage price surcharge, but the concern that if a subsequent trade deal is done before 3 years planned replacement cycle, then me and any truck purchaser will instantly loose premium price paid on top of normal depreciation.

So, the decision if the hard Brexit boys get their way, will be… cough up and shut up or… write off 5k.

[emoji851][emoji51][emoji15][emoji3166][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the v8 Scania ever arrive?
I read a bit of the corporate waffle then noticed the company went under in about the same time as took Boris to become prime minister never mind before Brexit!

Moose:
Did the v8 Scania ever arrive?
I read a bit of the corporate waffle then noticed the company went under in about the same time as took Boris to become prime minister never mind before Brexit!

No, the factory never confirmed the order.