Scania order books closed until after the Big B

nedbro:
To the o/p
I think scania should have some regard for the V8 merchants who want too spend best part of 4k making there [zb] trucks sound like they’ve got a throat problem!scania were the best 20yrs ago but not anymore but still sting you for 30k, I’m on about the r series her ,the new one does look the part and inside looks good,

I respectfully disagree.

The V8 merchants you describe above would spend 4k making the worlds best truck look or sound different. For some its interior comfort, for others its blingin and singin, for others they are happy with a fleet spec Axor. Different strokes for different folks.

As for the R Series. At the time it went on to runout it was, for all intents and purposes, a 20 year old truck. There had been cosmetic and mechanical updates but it was getting very long in the tooth.

When you compare to the rest of the range, the New Generation Scania is the stand out truck. DAF have been peddling the same basic truck now for longer than I have been alive, Volvo set the bar with the current FH but have let the grass grow under them. MAN and Renault are fighting in the fleet market with a truck which is good enough to appeal to some owner drivers but will never be a range topper.

Mercedes-Benz is the joker in the pack. Again, they moved things on with the MP-4 Actros but even the new truck doesn’t do enough to regain ground on Scania for cab comfort and driver appeal. Mirrorcam is a good idea, but its going to roll out across the competition faster than a double diffuser in F1 so the one big selling point of the new Actros will soon be countered. After that all you have is a couple of touch screens, whose reliability has yet to be proven, in a 2012 body with posh lights. Merc went early and showed its cards. Scania waited, took the short term pain of being out of date for 3-4 years, in order to produce a truck which was streets ahead for the remaining 15 years of the model cycle.