Six weekly check question

Hello
I drive for a small roofing company and we have a single 18 ton HIAB. My boss has recently said I should be carrying paperwork in the cab detailing the last six weekly check incase I get stopped. I asked the garage where we have take the truck and the guy told me it is not a legal requirement to actually have it in the cab. He said he records it and sends something to my office at the end of the month for their records.
Who is right here and what is the law?
Cheers

MrChickon:
Hello
I drive for a small roofing company and we have a single 18 ton HIAB. My boss has recently said I should be carrying paperwork in the cab detailing the last six weekly check incase I get stopped. I asked the garage where we have take the truck and the guy told me it is not a legal requirement to actually have it in the cab. He said he records it and sends something to my office at the end of the month for their records.
Who is right here and what is the law?
Cheers

Never heard of you having to do that for a vehicle? Not sure of the hiab [emoji848]… Then again I had a company wanting a r2c done late night for a large company to show that a trailer was inspected,

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

For clarification I mean the six weekly service/inspection. It just seems odd that nobody else I have spoken to says you need to have proof of the last inspection kept in the vehicle. Then again this came from a transport manager who phoned me up yesterday asking how to download a digi card…

MrChickon:
For clarification I mean the six weekly service/inspection. It just seems odd that nobody else I have spoken to says you need to have proof of the last inspection kept in the vehicle. Then again this came from a transport manager who phoned me up yesterday asking how to download a digi card…

Your boss Is talking out of his rear.
Simples …

Cheers!

To be fair to your boss, whilst it is not a legal requirement, I can see what he might, emphasise the might, be trying to do. If you get stopped, DVSA inspect the truck, and find a fault that, in their opinion, is older than the time of your last inspection then by whipping out the last inspection sheet any “blame” gets deflected on to the maintenance man. (Although it does not really but that’s another can of worms). Unfortunately, for you, it could still go the other way if it was something that should have been picked up on your daily check…
At the end of the day though your boss can still tell you to carry the sheets. (your HIAB crane should have a Loler certificate with it, or at least a sticker on it from the firm that did the inspection, with the date of inspection on it).

manski:
To be fair to your boss, whilst it is not a legal requirement, I can see what he might, emphasise the might, be trying to do. If you get stopped, DVSA inspect the truck, and find a fault that, in their opinion, is older than the time of your last inspection then by whipping out the last inspection sheet any “blame” gets deflected on to the maintenance man. (Although it does not really but that’s another can of worms). Unfortunately, for you, it could still go the other way if it was something that should have been picked up on your daily check…
At the end of the day though your boss can still tell you to carry the sheets. (your HIAB crane should have a Loler certificate with it, or at least a sticker on it from the firm that did the inspection, with the date of inspection on it).

Thanks for that. Pretty much along the lines what I have been thinking. I’m not bothered about carrying it or not he just made such a big deal about it and I haven’t seen anything anywhere that says it is a legal requirement. Thank you for your input everyone.

I’ve never heard of it either. The only thing I know of us that the inspection/service sheet should be seen by the office before the vehicle leaves the garage. By should, I mean good practice so that the office are aware of any advisory notes.

You should of course be carrying your completed morning’s walk around check sheet signed and noted Nil defects … or otherwise, with some indication of another’s opinion.

Which comes on to Manski’s point about the inspection sheet and vosa’s opinion that the relevant defect is older than the last inspection. The no 1 gripe from qualified MOT testers is Vosa’s attitude that so many defects should have been marked previously as pass and advise (or since May 18 as minor) at the time of test, yet hours later at the roadside picked up as a failure. While that issue concerns light vehicle testing the same principle really applies to heavy vehicles. Although the standards are supposedly the same as at test, roadside may well be stricter in certain areas. The advent of computer generated inspection sheets has virtually done away with the old school vosa man’s favourite sight in an operator’s maintenace file … the filthy dirty, handwritten, fitter’s actual sheet used for the inspection. So many printed inspection sheets have very little space to record a proper assessment, or categorisation, of any defect found. This results in only the major items being noted and very few indications being present that something has been noticed and considered serviceable at present, with fewer still being marked as scheduled for later attention. Some defects develop over time - wear - and others quickly, - cuts in tyres. It is the former which has the potential to pose the problem of two people’s opinion particularly when the roadside inspection cannot examine certain aspects of the vehicle so becomes more picky about what can be seen.

Its an arguement I have been having with my maintenance suppliers on a regular basis.

The driver shouldn’t have to carry the six weekly inspection every day but he should be made aware of the contents of the report so that he is aware of any little niggles which are not yet defects but have the potential to become one. The company should have a copy of the inspection by the end of the day. This R2C crap is doing my nut.

1. Its a system which requires a bachelors degree in IT to navigate.
  2. Dealers tend to take up to a week to upload the inspection to it.
  3. The operator has to check it on a regular basis because you do not get email alerts to say a new inspection is available.
  4. Most of the features on it are cost options.

I have all my drivers ask the question when they collect if there is anything that they need to be aware of. If necessary they go and find the fitter that did the inspection and talk to them about it.

Unfortunately we use three suppliers. The local Renault dealer, the local Scania dealer and the local trailer hire company. All of them use R2C and none of them are particularly quick with the data entry.

Best practice is that the report should be waiting for the driver to take back to the office when he collects the vehicle. No one does it.

The office are the ones who have to maintain records. A folder with all the reports is OK. A folder for each vehicle is best practice. Requirement is for 15months of data.

Can’t say we have ever had an issue with R2C. We used to use the system for our own fleet and never had an issue with DVSA Inspections or satisfying the TC when we were in for tea & biscuits.

There should be no need for printing inspection sheets off in a workshop environment any longer with R2C. Once we have signed off an inspection sheet it is sent by e-mail to the fleet manager of the customer in question with a scanned in copy of the Loaded roller brake test report.

Everything is then stored digitally at our end and can be accessed in seconds should we need it. I don’t understand why operators put up with the lazy ■■■■■■■■ behaviour from maintenance providers. The inspection is not complete until the sheet has been signed either roadworthy/un-roadworthy and defects rectified.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to get right.

What is actually checked on these 6 weekly checks?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

silverman:
What is actually checked on these 6 weekly checks?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Apart from the time, it’s almost a visual inspection with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^

That is basically how it is done, the link details what is inspected against specific standards which are essentially: presence, position/compliance, security, condition, function and performance/efficiency.

The DVSA view that there is a difference between the standard for an MOT and that required for a six/eight/twelve weekly check (whatever period has been agreed for that operator). Whereas the MOT pass/fail refers to the vehicle condition at x hrs on a particular date, they view the six weekly to be a declaration that the vehicle was not only up to standard on that day but also in the opinion of the person signing the inspection report, barring any damage sustained later, there are no noticeable minor defects which will develop into a more major issue before the next scheduled safety inspection. This is what they call prioritisation of defects. It is quite acceptable to record a minor defect as requiring observation - this normally mentioning a time scale or something similar. eg. ball joint wear acceptable, parts ordered, (book in) for attention (when). The operator’s maintenance record should then have an invoice for replacing that part.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … manual.pdf

Thanks for that.