Holland axles.

I’ve been offered a tipping trailer which is fitted with the above (disc braked) axles.
I’ve never heard if them, but understand that they were taken over by SAF some years ago.
The trailer would be ideal in every other way, but I’m not a fan of discs on trailers, especially ones I’ve never heard of.
Anybody on here got any experience of them please ?

How old is the trailer? Can you post a picture of a hub or where ever you got the Holland name from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coiler:
How old is the trailer? Can you post a picture of a hub or where ever you got the Holland name from?

It’s a 2011 Rothdean. Sorry, I don’t have a clear picture of the hub. The seller told me they are Holland axles. Someone else has told me that they have occasionally seen hub covers with SAF/HOLLAND stamped on.

Probably is a SAF axle then. A picture of a wheel would confirm it. I always used to have Meritor (ROR) axles, then tried BPW and am currently buying trailers on SAF disk. I’ve not had a problem with SAF disks on a trailer, and I have been buying disk brake trailers for 20 years. So long as the trailer has regular use and is not parked up for six months unused I’m sure you will be fine. Before you buy have a good look underneath at all the disks and give the callipers a wobble with the brakes released.

SAF/Holland, same company. Only problem with SAF is if you have to remove the hub be prepared to have thread repairing tool and new nut, they always get damaged when opened. And SAF suspension is so stiff sideways that axle tubing cracks in offroad use, so onroad use only.

Thanks for all advice and replies re the above.
I’ve decided to let this one go. A very respected trailer man advised me that although Holland were taken over by SAF, they don’t offer parts support. He reckons they will be best viewed through binoculars!!
Thanks Again, John.

Fair enough, good luck finding a trailer

Where we lease our trucks from. Fella comes to do a 6 weekly check. All he does is basically all the checks on a viechel defect book. Squiits a bit of grease on each curtain pole.
About it really takes him about 30 mins.

Worked on quite a few SAF axles though usually drum brake set up, not had that much trouble with the hub nuts, we tend to put them together well greased up, including the stub axle and behind the hub nut, we also don’t bother torquing them up to silly settings as the N/S are usually left hand thread, not had any mither of them coming loose.
The worst I’ve worked on are Gigant for sticking on the bearings, having said that when there’re put together new they only use a bit of that poxy white anti seize grease that goes a sticky chalky texture and lets damp in resulting in rust between the bearing race and the stub axle, we’ve had to cut 2 off a 3 year old trailer as my puller broke the hubs it must be in the region of 40/50 ton pull

Moose:
0Worked on quite a few SAF axles though usually drum brake set up, not had that much trouble with the hub nuts, we tend to put them together well greased up, including the stub axle and behind the hub nut, we also don’t bother torquing them up to silly settings as the N/S are usually left hand thread, not had any mither of them coming loose.
The worst I’ve worked on are Gigant for sticking on the bearings, having said that when there’re put together new they only use a bit of that poxy white anti seize grease that goes a sticky chalky texture and lets damp in resulting in rust between the bearing race and the stub axle, we’ve had to cut 2 off a 3 year old trailer as my puller broke the hubs it must be in the region of 40/50 ton pull

Now thats a real mans hub puller.

Trickydick:

Moose:
0Worked on quite a few SAF axles though usually drum brake set up, not had that much trouble with the hub nuts, we tend to put them together well greased up, including the stub axle and behind the hub nut, we also don’t bother torquing them up to silly settings as the N/S are usually left hand thread, not had any mither of them coming loose.

Now thats a real mans hub puller.

Big boys toy for sure. It has the look of something that a clever engineer had made, out of his head.

Yes it’s some tool, picture doesn’t really do it justice, it’s got to be 5ft high, I tend to unbolt the pump and move to the side when things are obviously very tight as a hub can accelerate at an unbelievable speed from being stuck!