Main Dealer MOT failures

At an ATF yesterday the conversation turned up that main dealers have an id. number which they are allowed to request is recorded at the time of test. The purpose of this is to ensure that any failure is registered against the dealer rather than the operator of the vehicle. That was news to me.

Sorry, wrong forum could mods relocate to operators’ section please.

cav551:
At an ATF yesterday the conversation turned up that main dealers have an id. number which they are allowed to request is recorded at the time of test. The purpose of this is to ensure that any failure is registered against the dealer rather than the operator of the vehicle. That was news to me.

I would think that system is only for use when a vehicle is not specified on an operators licence.

As far as I am aware if a vehicle is specified on an OP. LIC. then maintenance and any faults are the responsibility of the operator regardless of who does the maintenance, main dealer or otherwise.

Happy to oblige! This topic has now been moved from the Old Timers’ forum to the Owners & Fleet Operators’ forum. Robert :slight_smile:

cav551:

If that is true then that is another case of discrimination against smaller operators, who tend not to use new trucks / dealers.

It sounds as if it should not be true but then the whole ATF, OCRS and earned recognition systems are loaded in favour of the big corporate organisations anyway, so maybe it is true. :frowning:

manski:
[

If that is true then that is another case of discrimination against smaller operators, who tend not to use new trucks / dealers.

It sounds as if it should not be true but then the whole ATF, OCRS and earned recognition systems are loaded in favour of the big corporate organisations anyway, so maybe it is true. :frowning:

I don’t see it completely that way. Many vehicles are on contract maintenance with main dealers. Disregarding why the vehicle ended up being presented for test and failing, it was the dealer who was in control of the preparation and inspection, the operator had no involvemnt. I know that goes against the principle that the condition of the vehicle is the operator’s responsibility, but in the case of contract maintenance the operator has no financial interest in not rectifying any defect - in fact his interest is exactly the opposite because he has already paid in advance for any work necessary to be done.

He is totally out the lop CAV …R&M wont cover damage done by the operator ie damaged mirrors Items that the operators damages…Fair wear and tear are covered

cav551:

manski:
[

I don’t see it completely that way. Many vehicles are on contract maintenance with main dealers. Disregarding why the vehicle ended up being presented for test and failing, it was the dealer who was in control of the preparation and inspection, the operator had no involvemnt. I know that goes against the principle that the condition of the vehicle is the operator’s responsibility, but in the case of contract maintenance the operator has no financial interest in not rectifying any defect - in fact his interest is exactly the opposite because he has already paid in advance for any work necessary to be done.

I see it completely that way :laughing:

:bulb: Think about this way :-
The truck has failed it’s MOT because it has a defect.
Before it was tested it was being operated with that defect by the operator.
Their maintenance contractor did not pick it up.
The operators maintenance regime has failed. (In DVSA speak :cry: )
No more to be said.

I think you will find it is to do with monitoring MoT pass data per dealer.

Mercedes use this to work out the pass rate for each dealer, and therefore average for it’s dealer network, for advertising and other purposes

cav551:

I thought this was the presenters ID. Your op licence record and ocrs is based on vehicle registration plate not an arbitrary ID presented at the ATF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDL102:

Mercedes use this to work out the pass rate for each dealer, and therefore average for it’s dealer network, for advertising and other purposes

Believe me Mercedes will not want to advertise the multiple and disastrous short comings of its dealer network. The service levels of my local Mercedes dealer are worse than abysmal, words cannot describe how bad they are. I hate anything Mercedes with a passion, the dealers, the trucks, I go into a cold sweat every time one of mine comes in the depot.

Used to wrok at Daf dealer and if there was an mot failure the operator would be on the phone doing their nut as it went against them.

Trickydick:
Used to wrok at Daf dealer and if there was an mot failure the operator would be on the phone doing their nut as it went against them.

If the dealer’s got an ATF lane there and the vehicles gone into them for prep a fail is pretty ■■■■ inexcusable though in my opinion.

gingerfold:

TDL102:

Believe me Mercedes will not want to advertise the multiple and disastrous short comings of its dealer network. The service levels of my local Mercedes dealer are worse than abysmal, words cannot describe how bad they are. I hate anything Mercedes with a passion, the dealers, the trucks, I go into a cold sweat every time one of mine comes in the depot.

My Fitter calls the local Merc dealer Pentash@@e even has their number as that in he’s phone :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I much prefer dealing with our local in dependant workshop that looks after our trailers and older tractor unit than the main Merc dealer who does the contract maintenance on the newer units, just getting somebody to answer the phone is challenge, then trying to find somebody who knows what they’re talking about to is another mission, if you can talk directly to the workshop then you might get some sense.

The independent workshops the 2 ladies on the reception desk are clued up and I can even go directly to the owner if it’s more complex. But the boss thinks they’re expensive, but they’re no worse than anywhere else I’ve dealt with, but I suppose he gets the benefit of fixed costs with the units, even though the finance would be much more than the cost of maintenance.

blue estate:

gingerfold:

TDL102:

My Fitter calls the local Merc dealer Pentash@@e even has their number as that in he’s phone :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My local Merc dealer collected a 16 plate Actros for inspection and service at 08.00 am Thursday. (It was booked in for Monday night but they had “staff shortage issues” so I re-arranged it for Thursday and allocated the driver another unit for the day). As it wasn’t back on Friday morning I phoned them to ask why. The Service (misnomer) Manager didn’t know why.
He did find out eventually. It was being driven out of the workshops when a fan belt broke. They didn’t have a new one in the stores (another misnomer). As of Saturday morning it still wasn’t back and I just couldn’t be bothered to ring them again. The same truck was recently there for five days for them to change a night heater fuel pump. They had ordered the wrong parts and had to wait for the correct ones. Unbelievable.

muckles:
I much prefer dealing with our local in dependant workshop that looks after our trailers and older tractor unit than the main Merc dealer who does the contract maintenance on the newer units, just getting somebody to answer the phone is challenge, then trying to find somebody who knows what they’re talking about to is another mission, if you can talk directly to the workshop then you might get some sense.

The independent workshops the 2 ladies on the reception desk are clued up and I can even go directly to the owner if it’s more complex. But the boss thinks they’re expensive, but they’re no worse than anywhere else I’ve dealt with, but I suppose he gets the benefit of fixed costs with the units, even though the finance would be much more than the cost of maintenance.

Absolutely. My landline phone times the calls. If they’re not answered in 3 minutes 42 seconds it cuts off. After the third attempt and 11 minutes 6 seconds of my life wasted I get in my car and drive round to them. Nice plush reception with gormless people staring at computer screens. I could quite happily trash the place. :imp: :imp: :imp:

gingerfold:

muckles:

Absolutely. My landline phone times the calls. If they’re not answered in 3 minutes 42 seconds it cuts off. After the third attempt and 11 minutes 6 seconds of my life wasted I get in my car and drive round to them. Nice plush reception with gormless people staring at computer screens. I could quite happily trash the place. :imp: :imp: :imp:

That’s why he’s gone back to MAN big time and don’t get them on R&M , we only end them there if they need heavey repair , 6 weekly’s , servicing and brake pad changes our fitter does

Own Account Driver:

Trickydick:

If the dealer’s got an ATF lane there and the vehicles gone into them for prep a fail is pretty ■■■■ inexcusable though in my opinion.

No atf lane, biggest issue with trucks is always the brakes, drum brakes being the most tempremental, you can brake test it prior to inspectiom, do the work, load it up and brake test it again laoded, take it for test and fail on brakes, this has happened many a time and always with drum brakes.
Plus of course every tester has a different oidea f whats worn and whats fubared.

Trickydick:

Own Account Driver:

Trickydick:

No atf lane, biggest issue with trucks is always the brakes, drum brakes being the most tempremental, you can brake test it prior to inspectiom, do the work, load it up and brake test it again laoded, take it for test and fail on brakes, this has happened many a time and always with drum brakes.
Plus of course every tester has a different oidea f whats worn and whats fubared.

How very true, it is so easy to have a problem on the test lane. The brake rollers can easily damage the tyre tread when the wheel locks up. The customer had not brought the vehicle in for its brake reline after its last inspection and one is forced to present it with new linings. The load imposed on the axle is over 65% of the axle weight but not quite enough to get the required efficiency. Probably one of the more aggravating ones is an air leak discovered only because there is almost total silence on the test lane, while there has always been so much background noise in any large workshop. Then there are silly things when a vehicle has passed for the last ten years with a reflector one inch out of position and is now suddenly failed.

Finally there are those who don’t have the balls to argue a point which they know is correct. The old guard of knowledgeable testers are slowly retiring and being replaced with one week course wonders.