Could you advise who is at fault?

Hi, Could you advise who is at fault? Thanks,

youtube.com/watch?v=crDyhAgPFLY

jump to 1-30 and watch from there otherwise you will be sleeping before anything happens…
basically the truck should have been in the other lane to start with if going round the roundabout so far before turning off,and then drift over to the left lane at the junction it had the collision.
the van drivver could be more observant and wait to see where the trucks eventually heading though you could understand he would think the trucks turning off.
prob end up 50/50 as far as insurance though?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
over to you.tncsi.
popcorn and armchair handy now. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
jump to 1-30 and watch from there otherwise you will be sleeping before anything happens…
basically the truck should have been in the other lane to start with if going round the roundabout so far before turning off,and then drift over to the left lane at the junction it had the collision.
the van drivver could be more observant and wait to see where the trucks eventually heading though you could understand he would think the trucks turning off.
over to you.tncsi.

In normal sircumstances I would agree with you but on that roundabout there were no markins, there were no markins before the roundabout either. As far as I can see in order to exit that roundabout the 3rd party van had to move to the left lane first and only after moving to the left lane then he could have exited the roundabout. Right lane does not give him permision to exit the roundabout and that is according to that particular roundabout markings. You can clearly see it on the video.

bit of a grey area though id think 50-50 would be the result…theres def a lack of markings to a certain degree but the roundabout is too big to be treated as a normal size one might have been indicating in the truck though?

dieseldog999:
bit of a grey area though id think 50-50 would be the result…theres def a lack of markings to a certain degree but the roundabout is too big to be treated as a normal size one might have been indicating in the truck though?

If it would be 50/50 which is very high probability then why they even bother puting roundabout markings?

theres masses of roundabouts vaguely and incorrecty marked most likely bean counters doing the marking having no idea about the reality of driving on them.
id have either been in the right lane then drifting over or at least left lane indicating i was going round…so 50 -50 looks like the winner.

I think it would depend very much on whether the wagon was indicating to turn right.

The lorry driver should have had his right indicator on.
This is how the gendarmerie/trafico like to see things happen on their motorways.
The junction of the M1/M62 south of Leeds sees incidents like this and near misses regularly.The lanes are marked up for two lines of traffic but eventually one lane will have to cross the other to take an exit.Tricky in heavy traffic especially if someone does not like to give way slightly.

I also think it depends on whether or not the lorry driver was indicating right, the van crossed a broken white line and changed lane which put him in the same lane as the lorry.

If the lorry driver was indicating right i think that technically the van driver was at fault, if the lorry driver wasn’t indicating right I’d say it’s anyone’s game, probably 50/50.

Sent from my mobile.

Might end up 50/50,?
But, the van was overtaking on a roundabout, which should be a no, no, shouldn’t it?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Going to have a look at the full video later but couple of things are obvious, although maybe not all relevant to the OP’s question :-

1. The van driver, like ddd999 says, appears to have less observational ability than a blinkered horse.

2. The van drivers life expectancy, if he drives regularly like that, is very low. Even less if he ventures outside these shores.

3. Any passenger in the van has an even lower life expectancy.

4. The van has crossed a warning line (long mark, small gap ? ) the HC says this “Longer broken white lines in the centre of the road indicate a hazard ahead. Never cross a hazard warning line unless you are certain it is safe.” After passing 15m of truck on your left hand side (on the other side of the warning line), it seems unlikely it is then safe to cross the line, at speed, assuming the truck is going to turn away from you without positive confirmation. Problem is you cannot see everything in these videos.

Hmmm. After looking at the OP’s other postings on yt I am a bit suspect I am afraid.

In one video he(presumably) near enough rear ends another truck and ends up in the hedge after not stopping quickly enough in the rain. In another he appears to deliberately choose the outside lane at a traffic lights and then appears to engage in some car bullying as trying to merge back into the inside lane. Maybe he could enlighten us.

Is it a Stobarts truck? There seems to be a spotter giving you a wave on the left exit island.

Assuming that’s the van to the right already in the roundabout I’d say you’ve cut him up if you are in a class 1 … then he’s tried to get past you resulting in the smash,50/50 for me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so sure about the van, but if so it follows the same pattern as the other videos.

dieseldog999:
over to you.tncsi.

100% my thoughts ,though the only thing I don’t know was, the unit indicating it’s intention to keep going right ■■

Yep, I also think it would go knock for knock but it’s well below par for a class 1, and personally I think the blame lies with the truck, he’s taken the wrong lane for the exit he wants. Fair enough any of us can get in the wrong lane but you should be indicating and that alone’s not enough extra vigilance in the mirrors for exactly this is also required.

At the end of the day they don’t tarmac two lanes, in the entrance and exits, and round roundabouts purely for the benefit of the occasional U turner. If you’re also taking either the final exit, before the one you’ve entered on, or anything much beyond 1 o’clock you should be in the right hand lane indicating right then moving across to the left and changing indicating to left.

There’s a busy dual carriageway roundabout near me that almost immediately after you exit the roundabout there’s a right hand turn if you don’t enter and leave in the right hand lane the chances of getting across are non existent but you do have to maintain a constant vigilance for idiots who think the left hand lane approach to a roundabout is suitable for a right hand turn, Not sure if they’re following sat navs or panic about moving across to exit so stay in the left hand lane or just have no idea which lane they should be using.

One advantage with an artic on a roundabout is if you’re not really sure which land you should be in other vehicles will generally me more tolerant of you straddling lanes whilst you decide.

Good news! This:

xichrisxi:
Assuming that’s the van to the right already in the roundabout I’d say you’ve cut him up if you are in a class 1 … then he’s tried to get past you resulting in the smash,50/50 for me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is both accurate and the reason the truck driver should be grateful for the case about 10 years ago which went all the way to the Supreme Court and set a firm legal precedent. Unless there is loss of life or life changing injury, or a particularly determined claimant with a big legal cheque book, accidents on roundabouts are automatically judged 50/50 because even with cameras, the angles and fields of vision mean its still he said, she said most of the time.

That probably gets the truck driver off a full fault claim. He should have stopped before entering the roundabout. His road position was completely off for the turn he was making and he sent all the wrong signs to the van who had a reasonable expectation of being able to make the move onto the next stretch of dual carriageway. (Note - I watched with no sound so cant tell if indicators were used, but even then it doesn’t tell you which way is being indicated).

If it were my truck and I saw that footage the driver would be looking at a final written at best and more likely a trip down the job centre the next day. Its wholly unacceptable in a professional driver. It was also far to fast from all vehicles on screen.

50/50… Undoubtedly the right call for this meeting of like minded road users.

Neither really appear to fully grasp the idea of sharing the roads with other people.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

i suppose you have to admit the trucks ahead on points if only for not being the one clattering a lampost and ending up on the grass? :slight_smile: