Tarmac Owner Driver - Is it worth it?

Hi guys,

I know there are so many threads about tarmac and starting out on your own (I’m still reading through them) but some are old an the last few years have seen many different changes that effect drivers/companies.

So now in 2019, is it worth going down the owner driver route?
I’ve always wanted to but doesn’t mean it’s a good idea lol

I’ve got my class 1, nearly 10 years experience with fridges/curtains/tippers and even a short spell at cpi motor which I enjoyed but was only agency temp.

Who’s the guys in the know here?

Also hello everyone I’m John, Dinnis is my nickname and read a lot on here over the years but never got round to joining till now, my bad lol

Thanks in advance

Dinnis

What price is a new Tarmac (CRH) spec 8wheeler nowadays??
Does that price now answer your question■■?
Cause in 2004 they were about £80k and diesel in Eire was 55ppl ex VAT and it answered mine!!!

Tarmac Owner Driver - Is it worth it?

That’s a question only you can answer. If you fancy it and like the idea of having your name on the door (in very small letters), fill your boots.

You are not your own boss. You’ll be told you are but you’re not. You find that out by saying “no” to a poor rate job. So the self employed freedom is a myth. You are treated as an employee without as many rights and expected to soak it up with a smile.

The cost of kit is horrendous so unless you have a huge deposit then your hard earned will go to feeding the finance company, not you. You’ll then be expected to renew said kit on a regular basis.

I really can’t be bothered to go into it all at length as it’s all been covered on here before. I’m coming on 10 years out of it so no doubt things will have altered but I can’t imagine by much in the hauliers favour.

I stuck it for 20 years before bailing out, exhausted. You feel like a hamster running in a wheel. I now have a good job and wonder why I didn’t look for one sooner!

If you have a good job, keep it!

I second lards thoughts unresevadly I have been there too. The price of the kit has escalated so much that it is not viable.

Thanks for the input guys. Im really on the fence about it and the whole self employed thing in general.

I’m working in the co-op Newhouse through ADR and to be honest the hourly rate of £11.50 an hour self employed limited company compared to the £14 per hour (£35k per year salery) employed with co-op is a no brainier.
The bit I’m stuck at is the rota work. I’ve got split custody of my oldest so I need set days and more and more places are on this “5 on, 3 off” or “4on, 4off” etc an it’s just no use to me.

I’ve even thought of maybe getting a business loan an a tractor unit, try get work from people that way but it just never seems worth it

If 5 on 3 off or 4 on 4 off doesn’t suit for £35 grand then self employment certainly won’t! You’ll do 7 on none off (including the two days “rest” you spend worrying about your predicament).

Tarmac will expect “flexibility”, eg, “you’re doing nights tomorrow” only to have it cancelled/moved hours before the event. I’m now on 4 on 4 off and I’m in nirvana compared to my old life in the weighbridge bread queue…plus I get a pension, sick pay, paid holidays, work clothes laundered, a mess room, BUPA and not whistled at like a dog or treated as a lower form of life.

Your choice mate but I know which option I’d take

lard:
If 5 on 3 off or 4 on 4 off doesn’t suit for £35 grand then self employment certainly won’t!

It might suit me mate but not my family, used to do 4 on 4 off but on the day I had my son an I was workin he hated it. Hear what your sayin about the days/night stuff tho.

Think the days of owner driver are gone really :frowning:

Yes they are companies only want there own profits to them selves now a days

Dinnis:
Thanks for the input guys. Im really on the fence about it and the whole self employed thing in general.

I’m working in the co-op Newhouse through ADR and to be honest the hourly rate of £11.50 an hour self employed limited company compared to the £14 per hour (£35k per year salery) employed with co-op is a no brainier.
The bit I’m stuck at is the rota work. I’ve got split custody of my oldest so I need set days and more and more places are on this “5 on, 3 off” or “4on, 4off” etc an it’s just no use to me.

I’ve even thought of maybe getting a business loan an a tractor unit, try get work from people that way but it just never seems worth it

Forget the business loan, you wont get through the door, never mind walking out with a loan.....and, if you did get your hands on a unit`, you automatically go onto a 7 on / none off rota…its not for the feint hearted :open_mouth:

Maybe you should try Tarmac CRH what ever it now called in the northeast. . All seem to be running big Scanias and dafs. Northumberland seems to be the same. Either lots of debt or its just ■■■■■■■■ saying there is no money in the job. I go for the 2nd as one lad runs 2 v8 Scanias and one is an S series v8 so must be something in the job.

gazzad:
Maybe you should try Tarmac CRH what ever it now called in the northeast. . All seem to be running big Scanias and dafs. Northumberland seems to be the same. Either lots of debt or its just [zb] saying there is no money in the job. I go for the 2nd as one lad runs 2 v8 Scanias and one is an S series v8 so must be something in the job.

Need to do bit more “Detective” work though:
What kind of cars they drive or what house looks like.
Then and only then will you know “if it pays”!!! :grimacing: :wink:

Big Truck:

gazzad:
Maybe you should try Tarmac CRH what ever it now called in the northeast. . All seem to be running big Scanias and dafs. Northumberland seems to be the same. Either lots of debt or its just [zb] saying there is no money in the job. I go for the 2nd as one lad runs 2 v8 Scanias and one is an S series v8 so must be something in the job.

Need to do bit more “Detective” work though:
What kind of cars they drive or what house looks like.
Then and only then will you know “if it pays”!!! :grimacing: :wink:

Nah makes no odds just means the flash ZB s pay more drip and pocket less if anything at all , I’ve said it before there’s plenty who’d pack up but cant afford to get out of it ,it’s all a smoke screen ,working for such firms your just a glorified slave .

All the tipper owner drivers around me are buying new wagons most seem to be scania with a few Renault thrown in, either the rates are good or scania are doing a cracking deal

I’d hazard a guess there’s not a quarry in UK paying rates you’d describe as “good”!!! :neutral_face:

How much is a CRH specced new 8wheeler BTW,
about £120k roughly■■?!!!

If you shoot me a pm I’m happy to help, running some 8 leggers and walking floors on franchise basis. You may struggle to even get your foot in the door currently with tarmac

Dropped you a pm @lazytipperdriver

Tarmac /Cut Rate Haulage like the owner operators financed up to the hilt as it keeps them hungry, it also ensures they jump through all hoops and bend over when another raft of nonsensical crap is thought up (usually after Christmas when work is often quieter)
I predict a cut in rates soon for walking floors now there’s a few about!

Yes I’ve done the job, also been a contract haulier for Tarmac, though never been good at taking orders so I now do something else!

Do they supplier free gloves for getting out the last so many barrow fulls :laughing:

Not sure, Wilcox will need to supply free welding gloves really as I’m sure the sheet profiles both front and back will probably be cracked!