C1 Grandfathers Rights Medical

I have 2 drivers who have grandfathers rights for their C1 licence. Do they have to take their HGV Medical every 5 years?

every five after 45 years, then every year after 70,

did you spot the deliberate mistake its yearly from 65, which is next year dam.

I don’t think Hotel Magnum is correct. My understanding is that if you have C1 “grandfather rights” they continue until your licence expires (i.e. at age 70), when you have to renew it anyway (even for cars). At this point, in order to keep the C1 entitlement a D4 medical will be required. It will be valid for three years.

kevthrev:
I have 2 drivers who have grandfathers rights for their C1 licence. Do they have to take their HGV Medical every 5 years?

Pre 1997 C1 licence does not need a medical until age 70 - yes 70 - and that D4 medical lasts for 3 years
nwleics.gov.uk/files/docume … idance.pdf

5. Car licence holders under 70 who have a medically
restricted licence and are renewing entitlement to
drive minibuses not for hire or reward * (D1)
and/or 3.5 – 7.5 tonne vehicles (C1) must submit a
D4 when first renewing this entitlement, then at age
70 and 3 yearly thereafter (if C1/D1 still required).

rog, kev the rev does not mention them having medically restricted licences, therefore item 2 would apply would it not.

hotel magnum:
rog, kev the rev does not mention them having medically restricted licences, therefore item 2 would apply would it not.

No - the key word there is “renew”. Group C and C+E entitlement (and indeed all other groups) have to be renewed as and when they fall due. These dates are clearly shown under column 11 on the back of your licence. Anyone with “grandfather rights” to drive C1 (i.e. 7.5T) vehicles will have a date under column 11 which coincides with their 70th birthday. They can continue to drive C1 lorries until that date with no D4 medical examination required. No renewal is required before that date.

There is an article here from a law firm that, although it is difficult to follow, gives a bit of the history of these rules.

app.croneri.co.uk/feature-artic … her-rights

well I should have looked in my Croners instead of the dvla site, it explains it in a much better way and I stand corrected, thanks for that manski

hotel magnum:
well I should have looked in my Croners instead of the dvla site, it explains it in a much better way and I stand corrected, thanks for that manski

To be honest I do not think it is explained particularly well in either. I also think there is a mistake in the croner one where they refer to the 107 restriction as gross trailer weight when it should be gross train weight 8250kg