Operator CPC

phop:
Plannerman you should be OK as external tm plenty of haulage firms about without it relying on others, as the saying goes bs baffles brains

You’re about right there Sam, I had a bloke on my yard last week telling me he was selling himself as an external TM , he was a dairy farmer until recently but he does a bit of agency driving & is a TM for some lad on the Tarmac Owner Driver Scheme. He did tell me that although he’d been TM for a while now he hadn’t seen so much as a tacho report, maintenance sheet or owt else to do with the day to day running of the firm, he thought it was fine too, he was getting paid for doing nowt. I pointed out the fact that his neck would be on the block if the ■■■■ hit the fan & he should be able to prove what input he was having to his position.
Just goes to prove a point though, if a failed farmer can have the nessecary qualifications to be an external TM it ain’t that difficult.

I was lucky I suppose, I took my operator CPC when I was 19 at night school & yes the multiple choice exam was easier than than the 2 part one we have today but I passed 1st time.

These folk who have external TM’s just in the background but have no input in the running of the business are more common than we think too.

It looks good to run a fleet of lorry’s you don’t need, payed for with money you haven’t got, but the fact remains it’s all a big show with not even the basic of qualifications behind it for some folk.