Owner driver

Hi all, I’ve just started my own logistics company. I’ve done everything I need to do and it’s just a matter of hiring a unit now and getting to it. Question is where can I find sub contracting unit only work from? Cheers in advance of your help.

Try Pandora

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be better posted in the Owner and Fleet Operators Forum

Surely that would of been the first thing you had sorted out?

Actually finding the work before going out on your own :unamused:

You have “done everything” you need to do to start a logistics company, apart from acquire a vehicle and find work for it…

What exactly have you done?

idrive:
You have “done everything” you need to do to start a logistics company, apart from acquire a vehicle and find work for it…

What exactly have you done?

Got his class one licence by the sound of it.Not sure he will last long as an OD though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Contrary to what normally gets said in such situations I always recommend getting a unit on the road first unless it’s a shoe string set up that is :unamused: and get door knocking or ringing round and be ready to go go go , some of the best jobs are often gained and kept by being ready available in the right place at the right time .

Wheel Nut:
Try Pandora

Cheers everyone.

Do you have your manager’s CPC?

What do you mean by ‘done everything’? If you’re that new are you sure?

Hi, I’ve had my class 1 for 10 years and have had my managers cpc for 4 years. I have been in transport management for the last 6 years. I have secured a few parking spaces in a yard, I have got myself an o licence for 2 trucks and trailers, I have got all the necessary insurances, I have funds available. All I now need is good paying and prompt paying work. I have heard and read all sorts of horror stories regarding poor paying work and then not getting paid. Just after some friendly advice mate. Thanks

Dan_1986:
Surely that would of been the first thing you had sorted out?

Actually finding the work before going out on your own :unamused:

Imo its a very chicken or egg situation.

I found a lot of people won’t even entertain you until its all in place and ready to roll.

You must of made some enquiries while you’ve been putting all this in place, and have some telephone numbers to ring.

Go door knocking and ring everyone, even if it gets you nowhere in a years time they might ring you.

How on earth have you been in transport management for the past 6 years without having eyed up, and researched the feasibility of, some opportunity to offer your own full haulage and storage service to a couple of particular potential customers, while neither at the same time appreciating that traction only rates are pathetic, nor can covering that aspect only of the operation be considered logistics?

GB Logistics:
Hi, I’ve had my class 1 for 10 years and have had my managers cpc for 4 years. I have been in transport management for the last 6 years. I have secured a few parking spaces in a yard, I have got myself an o licence for 2 trucks and trailers, I have got all the necessary insurances, I have funds available. All I now need is good paying and prompt paying work. I have heard and read all sorts of horror stories regarding poor paying work and then not getting paid. Just after some friendly advice mate. Thanks

Probably could have worded your original post better, sounded like another dreamer.
As for good paying and prompt paying work… good luck!!

tachograph:

:question: Thought it was :question:

If you have things in place and the ready’s you can hire a unit even a trailer quite quickly, but setting up the company and getting all you need for an O’licence takes time.
However I’m surprised that somebody who has worked in Transport management for a few years has started a business without have a few offers in place or has a few contacts they know could offer work. Also it would probably help to know where they’re based?

DF40:

tachograph:

The thread was originally posted in the new drivers forum where it was when I posted that comment.

tachograph:

DF40:

tachograph:

The thread was originally posted in the new drivers forum where it was when I posted that comment.

Apologies

DF40:
Apologies

No problem mate :wink:

Your location would help a lot