I think it's the end

That is the end of being an owner driver operating a rigid tipper. After 25 years I have reached a point where I am stuck in a 5+ year old truck that I cannot afford to replace. It would cost approx 15k more than my current wagon it would carry less wieght, burn more adblue and I feel be much more trouble some, all for similar rates which I worked for 5 years ago. Any body looking for an experienced driver with a clean license (36years) ?

You on with a franchise?

Ever thought of going alone? You must have enough contacta built up. Ag out- muck back etc.

Never understood the whole framchise thing, getting told when where and for how much. No thanks

No Jim although I was for about 10 years with Tarmac. It gave me a good start to be honest. I spread my wings and have been flapping them like hell since. I have worked for various stone merchants and 1 very large plant operator. When things are very busy it is easy to pick and choose but when things change you need some body to look after you. There fore you end up tied down a bit like being on franchise really. That is my humble opinion any way I am sure I will get blasted for it now though.

The industry is in a shocking state all over it seems. I ply my trade in Canada and it’s no better here. The company I have my trucks on with has steadily increased it rates for the workshop, tyres are more expensive etc etc yet our rate hasn’t increased at all.

Trucks are going up in price at about 10k a year and residuals are on their arse, of you’re lucky you might have enough equity in the old one to take care of the deposit on a new one and with all the emissions crap on them, running one without warranty is a gamble that you will lose. I have found this out the hard way unfortunately.

My driver hasn’t had a pay rise in 3yrs, which I think is unfair and my rate has recently took a bit of a hit as the company I pull for has added to the fleet and changed things around. I’m still making money, but nowhere near what I should be considering I’ve got 400k invested in equipment.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with things, I’m very comfortable where I am, my driver is happy too, I’m still in the black, despite spending a fortune on repairs (the out of warranty truck) but it’s a very light shade of black and not enough to justify the necessary investment. Time for a change I think, the trouble is I’m looking over the fence and the grass is the same colour both sides.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Where is your location,you do not have to be too specific.

Tarmac Duck
I feel your pain , but can you really earn the same as a driver. Don’t forget the minutely small “perks” [emoji849] Free phone and diesel for the van and…[emoji15]

More serious note, I have no knowledge of rigids , but some tractor units with careful specing can at least equal older units on Tare and be superior on fuel and nicer to drive?

Newmercman
Very interesting, overall do you think the margins for you in Canada are comparable to UK.
What in your opinion keeps rates down there.
Here , I believe it is the small margin, volume chasing big players. Who can by size, buy cheap trucks, Diesel,tyres then put muppets behind the wheel .

I’m not bitter…much [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margins are difficult to compare Macker, I do alright, but as I said, it’s not enough to warrant the investment. On a risk and reward scale, the risks outweigh the rewards. Most owner operators here have done nothing more than bought a job. Because of the perks you mention, it’s a better paying job than a simple PAYE job, but not much.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lancashire

Sorry to hear that tarmac duck, it’s not a game I’m familiar with, though I remember my dear old Dad ran his own tipper back in the 60s. It was hard then, but the bean counters have everything taped down to the nth degree now, pay you just enough to keep you tied to them.

Good luck for the future.

Tarmac duck:
Lancashire

Whats is the truck you have Mr Duck.

That might give me away ! Do I know you Welly Bobby ?

Have you thought about diversifying into another transport sector??
Like buying a tractor unit & subbing??

Just a thought that’s all.

You are right Geoffo that is an option tractor units are more affordable and I live quiet close to Heysham port.

Tarmac duck:
That is the end of being an owner driver operating a rigid tipper. After 25 years I have reached a point where I am stuck in a 5+ year old truck that I cannot afford to replace. It would cost approx 15k more than my current wagon it would carry less wieght, burn more adblue and I feel be much more trouble some, all for similar rates which I worked for 5 years ago. Any body looking for an experienced driver with a clean license (36years) ?

Im sorry to hear that you find yourself in this position after so many years in business.
It must have been quite hard to admit to yourself(and all the rest of us) that the end is nigh.
Anyone can be taken out by a large bad debt or a run of mechanical catastrophes, but to be worn down by unsustainable rates is really a symptom of the state we’re in.
If it’s any consolation, when you do walk away,having squared off all your debts, you’ll have done the right thing and be able to look anyone in the eye.
That’s a lot, lot more than the legion of shysters who pollute this industry, and who think nothing of leaving a trail of debt, time and again from failed and asset stripped companies have ever done.
As one of Dickens characters, Wilkins MicAwber said. “Something will turn up”

Tarmac duck:

I feel for you B----, that is exactly where I got to with it in 2010 - although I stayed on the scheme, the reasons were identical to yours. All I can say is there is life afterwards. Now a very happy docker on 4 on 4 off, something that never crossed my mind whilst chasing around like a hamster in a wheel trying to fund my next 8 wheeler…Looking back, I don’t know how (or why) I put up with sitting in the bread queue at weighbridges waiting for that next load!

You’ve given it a good go, got something out of it in the process I hope, now time for a change. Better it’s done through choice rather than forced on you.

All the best

Jim

Thx for all your replies, I am at the moment well in the black and I have done very well out of the job but I cannot justify a huge reinvestment and feel it is time to look elsewhere. I have had one interview already which I think went well so fingers crossed.

Now my insurance premium is up and they want nearly £400 more than last year. My last fault claim about 10 years ago my wagon is worth considerably less and now this.

Tarmac duck:
That might give me away ! Do I know you Welly Bobby ?

Did you buy a used Nissan Navara Rear bumper off me?

Cheers Welly

posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=158521 Sadly no. Not yet.

Is there any owner drivers left ? After a few harsh words and some reminders my premium has come down to virtually the same as last year. I am so suited I want to buy a new wagon again.