Any Grab Operators happy to offer advice?

Hi all,

Going to undertake a new venture in the new year and purchase a 6 legged grab and had a few questions.

In regards to operator licensing:

My head and experience tell me that if im collecting somebody elses waste and disposing of it, I require a standard national as it isn’t my own goods. However, after doing some reading, essentially after a waste transfer note is signed it means that the waste belongs to me, and therefore would I be transferring my own goods and only require a restricted. The later is backed what others have told me, but I know to take any advice that I receive in a pub or building site with a pinch of salt and so any grab operators able to shed some light on the kind of operator licensing required?

In regards to the actual waste collected

I already have a good customer base who require the services Im looking to provide and would be removing: Muck, ■■■■■■■■ and other mixed construction waste. To begin with I only have a small yard and so will be unable to process ■■■■■■■■ to bag/resell etc. What kind of processes do you grab operators go through to rid your waste? Do you sell or do you pay to dispose, selling making much more sense in a business sense. I’m midlands, warwickshire, leicestershire and south derbyshire based if anybody operating in these areas have advice specific to these locations. My biggest concern is disposing of waste and still remaining profitable.
Also, has anyone ever experienced any problems with specific load types and disposing of them? I can imagine muck contaminated with oil etc could be a pain to get rid of?

Historically only operated tippers/walking floors, mixers and containers so this market, although in a similar construction scope as tippers/walking floors, is somewhat new to me so any and all advice and both welcome and very much appreciated.

Restricted would be fine, as there “your” goods. Youll be paying to tip, or with clean ■■■■■■■■ you may get a “free” tip.

The ■■■■■■■■ the material, the more expensive and the further you may have to travel to get rid. Unless you know any friends with deep holes.

Dont forget about waste carrier license and enviromental agency if you start crushing/storing wast in your yard

Would be interested to find out how you get on

If you take ■■■■■■■■ back to your yard to then resell, doesn’t that become a waste transfer station and a license is needed ? Best ask someone with the knowledge of that before jumping in.

I’m in a similar boat, just looking at buying a 8 wheeler for muck always etc although I’ve got a hole so makes life easier, just not sure what wagon I want! Do I want a cheap old foden that I don’t mind wreaking in ■■■■ holes or something better, that’s my problem

If you go south on the A38 @ Burton, there is a traveller site right next to the road if you lookdown, they have an 8 wheeler grab in the yard all sign written up in their usual gaudy style…end of the road if they are on the job IMO… :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:
If you go south on the A38 @ Burton, there is a traveller site right next to the road if you lookdown, they have an 8 wheeler grab in the yard all sign written up in their usual gaudy style…end of the road if they are on the job IMO… :open_mouth:

You can bet your life every load they do is tipped for free…

andrew.s:

Stanley Mitchell:

You can bet your life every load they do is tipped for free…

According to a mate in the trade who is being effected by this lot, they dont have a waste carriers licence, an Olicence, or an HGV licence, so I would imagine that the insurance will bemoody` ■■?

And, he has caught them red-handed dumping their waste into rival`s skips on a few local sites, AND over hedges using the Hi-Ab to clear the bush [and hide the crap] :open_mouth:

Police not interested :blush: