Fta tacho trainer case

anyone got experience of this unit shop.fta.co.uk/p-1224-dual-t … -case.aspx

pros and cons would be great, does it need extra cards if training more etc?

Why would you want more cards ?
There only training cards nothing else , you can’t use them in a proper tachograph head.
We use the trading aid on a laptop.

if i understand it the tachos dont reset so the cards and tacho retain information on them so say i was training five people i would need five different cards and it and it would take a bit of time to get some history on them. the pc simulator is fine but not really when you want to make sure its been done right

I’ve been looking at these recently

You can get extra cards for them yes, normally from the same place you get the unit itself from

But, before you buy, have you had a proper look at the simulation software? The one I have found does all 4 head types and has scripts for the trainees to follow.

Costs are a hell of a lot less and it’s easier to carry around

I’ve got one, although bought direct from the manufacturer; Lisle Design in St Andrews. Have 4 driver cards and one company card. Chose the latest Stoneridge VU; SE5000 Exact Duo 2 and VDO v3.4. Could really do with some more cards for larger groups, that’ll be a New Year purchase.

I tend to put the cards in the units for a few minutes the night before so there is only about 12 hours gap for manual entry practice, I find any longer can lead to confusion. If you do one load of manual entries at the beginning of a session and then remove the cards, you can run another manual entry for different people at the end of the training session. Most people who have used the training case have said it was worthwhile and they got more from actually trying with real units than looking at a simulator. I use the VDO simulator to do a ‘walk through, talk through’ before getting victims (sorry; volunteers :smiley: ) to use the training case. The problem with the VDO dvd is that it puts 24 hours between card ejection and insertion, which looks unnatural, also it has ‘end country’ and ‘begin country’ the wrong way round. I also use the on-line Stoneridge simulator, basic but works well for manual entries, it’s also free, but you do need an internet connection. You really don’t need to put data on the cards unless you want to demonstrate analysis programmes to folk, in which case, using a real tacho card is probably more realistic and easier. Otherwise you will have to change activities and vehicle speed in real time on the training case to produce records.

Almost forgot to add, you should keep the case plugged into the mains and the VUs powered up as much as possible. If you don’t the internal batteries will eventually exhaust and you have a very expensive paperweight! I also bought myself a low voltage extension lead as the cable from the adapter to the box is too short for many training venues.

Good Friend - which simulator did you find that does the four VU’s? Drop me a PM if you like.

Hi

I was told to google ‘tacho simulator’ and then hunt about. The one I have uses a Spanish name but provides scripts to follow for each of the 4 types of head unit. You can change speed etc via the head unit on show and also speed up time (I wish they could slow it down as well but…). Does that help? If you need more I could send you the link?

I have a friend who is retiring and has a home built unit with 2 real head units in it. He just uses cards they bought for the family to run it with. I’m not sure how Jaupt would feel about seeing that but it does what it says on the can.

lisledesign.com/products/tr … tachograph