Own periodic inspections?

Evening all

Can anyone shed any light on what is required to do your own periodic inspections, I would like to (at some point) apply for an o licence to get a lorry to move our own plant and machinery about . I have understood the restricted licence is adequate for what we want , but I’m trying to weigh everything up . The way I understand is you can do part of your own inspection but when it would come to brake testing etc this has to be done by someone with those facilities, do the brake testing and emission etc have to be done at every periodic inspections? Also if you are able to do some of it yourself what is needed regarding the person doing it , (I’m a competent qualified agri/plant engineer) I don’t know if that would be suffice ?

If anyone can shed any light or give me any ideas I’d be greatful

Cheers
Matt

I certainly don`t know. I would suggest you ask (probably magically happen anyway) a Moderator to move this question to the Owners and Fleet Operators section.
Click on one of the red names and PM them. :smiley:

Franglais:
I certainly don`t know. I would suggest you ask (probably magically happen anyway) a Moderator to move this question to the Owners and Fleet Operators section.
Click on one of the red names and PM them. :smiley:

DONE :smiley:

Magic !

Provided you are competent, you may carry out your own inspections. You will need a covered area eg garage with a lift or a pit and basic garage equipment such as jacks. If you encounter issues at MOT then clearly the work hasn’t been up to scratch. You will be expected to have a rolling road brake test every 3 months.

This is the latest advice from DVSA.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I would advise reading: safedrivingforlife.info/sit … hiness.pdf

You can take the vehicle along to a DVSA testing station or ATF and have the roller brake tests done.

Just remember, even if you take your vehicle to ACME Ace Inspection Emporium for periodical inspections, the buck stops with you if there is a rivet missing if you at stopped on the roadside. Many inspections don’t involve repairs, it’s just a tick box exercise with notes.

whelmic:
I would advise reading: safedrivingforlife.info/sit … hiness.pdf

You can take the vehicle along to a DVSA testing station or ATF and have the roller brake tests done.

I wouldnt bother as any surprises will end in a suspended tow away :unamused: better off having a brake test at another hauliers garage .

Just use a Bowmonk for a brake test and print it out