DGSA Officer

Evening chaps

I’m after a DGSA officer. Can anyone point me in the right direction where to find one
Or recommend me one

Thanks

Where in the world are you?

albion:
Where in the world are you?

sunny Rotherham :smiley:

Dgsa ?

chaversdad:
Dgsa ?

Dangerous goods officer

Excuse my ignorance

chaversdad:
Excuse my ignorance

If you carry dangerous goods, then you have to appoint a DGSA, which if you take the exams can be yourself, or an external person.

Sorry Scott, my guy is over in sunny Liverpool.

Ahhh right

Scott M:

chaversdad:
Dgsa ?

Dangerous goods officer

Is that not dozy’s official title

There’s a few on here.

What would you like one for? Advice and help or to appoint?

You’re a little far away from me sorry but Diesel Dave should be able to help you out by knowing someone more local

I am sure he’ll be along in a short while

good_friend:
… I am sure he’ll be along in a short while

He’s already sent (and received) a PM. :wink:

I don’t envy being a dgsa given the 2 telephone directory size books you need to know and the cost of buying them

idrive:
I don’t envy being a dgsa given the 2 telephone directory size books you need to know and the cost of buying them

My only claim to fame, poor as it is, is that I was one of the first DGSAs in the country. We all strolled in carefree on the Monday morning into the classroom; Tuesday morning we staggered in under the weight of not only the Orange books, but the slimmer UK regs having had no sleep because the homework we all thought would take us an hour, took around 4-5 hours.

I believe they have simplified the course since then!

albion:

idrive:

My only claim to fame, poor as it is, is that I was one of the first DGSAs in the country. We all strolled in carefree on the Monday morning into the classroom; Tuesday morning we staggered in under the weight of not only the Orange books, but the slimmer UK regs having had no sleep because the homework we all thought would take us an hour, took around 4-5 hours.

I believe they have simplified the course since then!

Hi albion,

Having taken and passed four DGSA exams this year (and this being my third re-qual,) I don’t think that the exams are any more or less difficult than they used to be.

The thing that has changed since the early days back in 2000 is that the UK has been getting more ‘in tune’ with ADR that it used to be, so we’ve tended to use the UK books less and less AND there are now also fewer of them, especially since 9th May 2004.

The thing that still bamboozles me is that the DGSA exams pose ADR (international) questions, then specifically say ‘ignoring any implications of IMDG in your answer’ (or words to that effect.)
:bulb: If DGs are going to the European mainland, then the journey IS multi-modal, so not just ADR knowledge is required :exclamation:

Doing it their (lazy IMHO) way and since the UK is an island, they’d have drivers stuck at the Channel Ports, or Eurotunnel and the company’s DGSA not being able to sort it.

It’ll depend on the activities of their company, but an employed (in house) DGSA may well be able to get away with just the stuff that SQA wants them to learn and pass exams on. However, a jobbing DGSA (IMHO) should have at least a working knowledge of Channel Tunnel Regs and IMDG, but especially the paperwork.

I can’t remember why exactly I thought the course was easier later on beyond my FM doing it and some comments he made on what he was doing which sounded different to what we’d had to learn. Long time ago, but I’ll take your word for it!

I did pay attention to the IMDG bit for obvious reasons, I can’t remember if the tunnel was open then or not. I’ll have to look that up!

Having taken and passed it this year (with a lot of help from Mike Billington and questions to our own Diesel Dave) I can truthfully say it was horrid

I did my International CPC via Home study and that was shed loads easier IMHO

Not sure what to do next, possibly NEBOSH Diploma

On reflection, you’re both correct about IMDG.

Perhaps better do that next just in case. Not sure I will be anywhere near the RIver Shannon but I do drive in Europe a bit.

good_friend:
Having taken and passed it this year (with a lot of help from Mike Billington and questions to our own Diesel Dave) I can truthfully say it was horrid

I did my International CPC via Home study and that was shed loads easier IMHO

Not sure what to do next, possibly NEBOSH Diploma

I’ve never actually done my CPC and I reckon I wouldn’t pass on the financial section. Can barely add 1+1 together. Makes you wonder about the validity of that section of the exam when my profit margin is healthy and above average and I’ve been in business for nearly 28 years.

Then again, my opinions of education are fairly low, but that’s a whole other topic!

Years ago, in my previous life (before I started truck driving), I used to have to go and see the Finance Director for a weekly meeting. She had no sense of humour when I suggested to her that as long as I had more money coming in than I was spending in my department we were fine

I still work on that assumption TBH :smiley:

Yes, that works for me.

nsmith and I amuse each other by being polar opposites. Yes there poring over his spreadsheets and I’m bumbling along with my theory of as long as drivers wages plus fuel is 50% of your charge, you are about right.

Keep it simple!