RATES

what are the considered good rates now for an O/D

Have rang a few companies up and the rates rage from
£1.20 to £1.60 per mile .
and payment terms 60 to 75 day payment ,
some you can use there fuel card ?

Depends if that is running your own trailer or pulling theirs and also whether that is paid per loaded mile or all miles? On bulk I aim to earn £2-£2.25 per LOADED mile as that’s how the bulk job is paid. You don’t get paid for running empty but obviously it’s still costing you so you have to work it in. Sometimes I’ll drop down to £1.85 per mile if it’s handy and gets me to where I need to be but then also on some local runs where minimum rates apply it’s up to as much as £4.50-£5 per mile. Also I’m paid every 30 days working a month in hand.

Matt.

I average around £1.85 for every mile travelled, doing walking floor work, and wouldn’t want to drop any lower. Be wary of using a companies fuel card as it’s a way of them keeping you indebted to them, and if you ever go for your own fuel card you have no history.

I do 99% of my work for 1 company and everthings rated at £3 a mile as a lot of the time i come back empty as its just a day run so it gets the trailer back for overnight loading
So in effect i get £1.50 a mile for all miles but only loaded 50% of the time

my calculator shows big NO for anything less than 1.50 per mile…

£1.50 pm all miles run, 14 days payment terms

thanks all .

was looking at using there fuel till i got up and running ,
there gradually putting fuel in myself one day a week till i get off there fuel

that was £1.50 minimum every mile .
also pulling there trailers

I’ve always preferred a day rate, with fuel/mileage cost on top otherwise no matter what mileage rate you are on it becomes unaviable if you are not being given sufficient miles.

I can’t believe some companies are paying guys £1.20pm, we start our owner drivers a £1.60pm with rates rising after 3 months of providing a good service, all miles paid, and paid weekly. Operating trucks ourselves aswell as owner drivers I wouldn’t have it any other way, some of these larger firms just take the ■■■■ out of the drivers as far as i’m concerned and I have no idea how they keep them.

I agree to a point regarding working to a day rate, however I always work on a combination of miles and day rate. I think that it’s very easy for new operators to be sucked into a seemingly attractive deal, only to find that either the mileage is insufficient to meet standing costs or the rate pm is so low that no matter how hard you work you’ll never achieve a sensible amount of revenue.

It takes time to understand the industry, I’m only just starting to really get to grips with it after 3 years running independently.

At our place the O-Ds are paid on miles, but are guaranteed a minimum earning per day.
They prefer doing lots of (light) miles but if caught on locals, are OK.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

whelmic:
I’ve always preferred a day rate, with fuel/mileage cost on top otherwise no matter what mileage rate you are on it becomes unaviable if you are not being given sufficient miles.

day rate as got to be the best if you can get it

Franglais:
At our place the O-Ds are paid on miles, but are guaranteed a minimum earning per day.
They prefer doing lots of (light) miles but if caught on locals, are OK.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

living in scotland its hard work trying to get a load home ev every week

thanks all for the replays

I do a bit of traction work and get a flat day rate of £290.00 with a mileage rate on top of that, works out well for me. 30 day payment terms.
Low loaders I tend to charge by the hour now, after all it’s a piece of plant with a operator.