Accountancy Fees

Just wondering what people are paying for accountancy fees per annum please? I’m limited company running two trucks, employing 1 driver. My accountant does Quarterly VAT returns, payroll and also my business and self assessment end of year tax return. Now apparently they aren’t making any money doing the quarterly VAT so need to increase their rate from £80 per quarter to £150!! I’m astounded that any business nowadays can nearly double their rate and expect to keep hold of a customer. I know what my customers would be telling me if I increased a job rate from £8 per ton to £15 per ton!

If you wish to keep this private please PM me.

Many thanks
Matthew.

I am a sole trader i do all my VAT bookwork but my accountant sends it to the VAT office and they charge me £20 er quarter plus vat

Do your own VAT returns Matt. Providing you have he figures to hand it’s less than a ten minute job to fill one in. Probably one of the most simple official document you’ll ever see. Of course the time consuming bit is getting the figures to hand, but as I did my own accounting it was all there in front of me.

I have often thought about doing my own VAT but didn’t know if I needed any special software to do this. As it is I just our all my invoices and receipts into date order and send them over to my accountant to do. I’ve also been told that payroll is relatively easy to do yourself aswell?

Matt.

I used to do it all myself Matt until I got to around 10-11 employees. VAT is easy and there will be simple software available ( I used quill and ink so can’t help you there) as is PAYE ( again I used tables that the tax office used to issue). No I have a guy that does the accounts and I’d say for 26 employees, it takes him max an hour to do every week.

My accountants yearly charges are around the 3k mark, but that is fine for me, given our turnover and the fact that he’s given me some good advice over the years.

That’s still reasonable Matt, I’m paying £350 per quarter for exactly the same.

I do all bookeeping and vat returns myself, accountant does payroll for 2 employees and charges £10 a month, Then to prepare and submit the year end accounts he charges £350

Your deal with your accountant looks good to me, I pay £1500.00 per annum for corporation tax, personal tax for 2 directors and companies house filling of accounts, that’s based on £500,000.00 turnover

I was told by my accountant that some HMRC rules had changed meaning more work to do for accountants. And so prices have gone up.

Just paid mine today £510, just annual Yr end accounts & tax return, I do the monthly book keeping. Used same firm 12 yrs.

Just an OD tho so nowt big or complicated.

But I messed up a bit & have a (for me) huge tax bill now. Grr should have sought a bit of advice during the year, bit late now.

I’m a similar size to yourself and paying £100/month for VAT returns, annual return and PAYE, so the deal you are being offer sounds pretty reasonable.