Load security

So I was reading through the “new” guidance on load security when I got to the section on steel loads. Nothing new really here, until I got to a picture of a load of steel allegedly loaded correctly. Anyone see the problem with the load?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve never carried steel RSJs, but from what I can see the front chain is wrapped around a sloping part of the chassis swan neck so it can slip. The front stack of timbers are not in a vertical line so potentially unstable. Whether anything can be done about it or not I don’t know, but the load tapers inwards so the chains are only exerting a percenteage of their potential vertical restraining force. There are no restraints at all at the front of the load which is where all the whip will be when changing direction twice. Only the top layer is secured. There are insufficient chains anyway per stack. It almost looks as if the rear stack is chained to the rope hooks, but I can’t believe anyone would be that stupid. I can’t tell but the weight distribution looks as if it may be too far biased towards the front.

While superficially the trailer appears suitbale since it has posts, in reality if you look at a trailer from the USA or OZ the siderave would be designed to anchor chains in any position not just where the running gear etc allows, worse this trailer hasn’t even got proper anchorage points built into the top of the rave or surely they would have been used? Typical cheapskate UK rubbish belonging to what is presumably a UK haulier who buys the cheapest he can get away with and expects it to cope with everything.

It looks like the chains are hooked around the side guard brackets.

^^^
Well, well, well, I think you’re right! wonders will never cease.

I wouldn’t argue with any of the above comments.
Also the chains should ideally be in line with the dunnage. Looking at the front chain, if there is flexing the steel will bow allowing the dunnage to be squeezed forward. Not a big problem with RSJs maybe, but can be a problem on prefabricated steel. Dunnage shold be in a vertical line to help prevent flexing, and the bottom piece should be on a trailer rib, or better on a twist lock support.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thats quite a good load tbh, this however…

A poor example of loading and securing in my view. There are no timbers at the front of the load and no chains/straps there either - just chains in the centre and rear of the front stack.

Pictures paint a thousand words and they are great to use when writing loading procedures, but you need to have a spot on picture otherwise the experienced drivers will pick holes out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chaversdad:

I have a key for that wire :laughing:

coiler:

So I was reading through the “new” guidance on load security when I got to the section on steel loads.

:wink:

The point of the example shown seems to be just to show the use of chains not straps.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144798&hilit=chains&start=30#p2286595

chaversdad:

I’ve never done steel other than prefabricated sheds etc.
This doesn’t look too bad to me, except I would have had maybe another couple of pins in, three more straps on, and a lot of edge protectors.
Would that be ok?

Is the fact that the load is higher than the headboard an issue with steel?

Old John:

chaversdad:

I’ve never done steel other than prefabricated sheds etc.
This doesn’t look too bad to me, except I would have had maybe another couple of pins in, three more straps on, and a lot of edge protectors.
Would that be ok?

Is the fact that the load is higher than the headboard an issue with steel?

It hasnt been loaded right for a start,look at the bottom beams there not straight and level to support the steel above it, if the bottom stacks are on the ■■■■ they will all go eventually, also the posts are designed to stop it falling off not to rest the load against and the main point being DVSA are having a massive clampdown on straps being used on steel, even on pre fabricated painted stuff i use chains with rubbers underneath

And dont use soft wood for dunnage/bearers. If the load cuts into it or crushes it the chains will go slack. Always had trouble delivering on site as the crews always wanted to keep our dunnage, and hard wood aint cheap.

Punchy Dan:

chaversdad:

I have a key for that wire :laughing:

You’ve got a battery grinder aswell?