Where to start with buying trucks

I own a small beverage delivery business, I’m English but live abroad. We currently use vans for our deliveries, however, the business is expanding and I need to look into buying trucks for deliveries.

We have a lot of stops. The ideal vehicles would be one with a rolling curtain. The type that just has one or two locks/handles and once opened they can swing open from one side to another literally like a curtain. Ideally between 7.5 and 12 tonne vehicles. That fit around 6 to 8 euro pallets approx.

The problem is I don’t know where to start. I have limited knowledge about trucks and my competitors vehicles all have the makes and model numbers taken off their trucks so I have no reference point.

I can’t afford new vehicles as of yet.

Can anyone recommend any make and models of trucks which match my description? I’m looking for vehicles like the attached photos. And best places to source the vehicles.

And what are the costs like for maintenance when compared to vans?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to sort out your Operators licence before you look at vehicle purchases if you have not already done so.

I think, better option will be if you’ll rent a truck, no worries about breakdowns etc. and many companies doing good deals if youll sign with them for a long rental period :wink:

Them little Isuzis and the others that all seem to share the same cab are ■■■■ good little trucks, they look a bit toy like, but stand up to the daily abuse very well, Argos run them and their drivers are er interesting!

The small Dafs ie the LF45 are a bit fragile, their slightly bigger stable mates the LF55/65 with the heavier front axles and running gear on the other hand are also good trucks the small Dafs all run the ■■■■■■■ 4 and 6 pot engines and are super tough.

If you search for Daf/Iveco/Isuzu/Fuso curtain sider theres bound to be some out there.

Thanks for the tips. But I don’t need an operators license where I’m based. Thank goodness.

I’ll keep searching.

Trickydick:
Them little Isuzis and the others that all seem to share the same cab are ■■■■ good little trucks, they look a bit toy like, but stand up to the daily abuse very well, Argos run them and their drivers are er interesting!

The small Dafs ie the LF45 are a bit fragile, their slightly bigger stable mates the LF55/65 with the heavier front axles and running gear on the other hand are also good trucks the small Dafs all run the ■■■■■■■ 4 and 6 pot engines and are super tough.

If you search for Daf/Iveco/Isuzu/Fuso curtain sider theres bound to be some out there.

Have you driven the Isuzu at all?

You need to find out where the big fleets go when they are up for replacement - Cartwright Rentals has a lot of urban/beverage delivery trucks in their yard at the moment but I think they may be all urban artics. Worth a call perhaps.

Like this then, holds 6 palet’s either euro pallet or 4 way. Takes 3.5 tonne of stock plus have about 2 foot of room at the back for trolleys gear etc. Have 8 tie down points and use brick type nets to keep the stock secure.

It’s a 7.5 Isuzu. The are like toy trucks and are uncomfortable to drive for long periods have 3 seats in them but realistically 2 peole a far better option. Ours d do a great job. Best bet is to get an old chassis and find a commercial bodybuilder as all of ours have been bespoke builds.

Get about 17 mpg out of them. Our oldest is 2009 and has done 542000 kms Not much seems to go wrong with them engine wise, as long as serviced accordingly though they tend to break bulbs reasonably often. All on tachograph at ours.

e5e340231647c8034eee98a697aa9431--graphics.jpg

I’m not sure how any advice on here can be that relevant as you say that you operate abroad (but not where), and do not need an O Licence (lucky you!)

Generally european spec trucks have different model numbers and axle weights to UK ones, and as you are looking at used I would just “Google” used trucks in your area/country, then pop down and have a look as you have a pretty good idea of what you are after judging by the pictures posted.

Not a dig, just an opinion.