Trailer registration for EU

I know this will impact a few of us, maybe it’s old news but I’ve just spotted it.

From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

This includes these countries in the EU, EEA and Europe:

gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to- … ter-brexit

Ah cant do until December

gov.uk/government/consultat … gistration

Detail of outcome
The final outcome of the consultation is that we will progress with our proposals with changes to practical processes. These proposals will now be progressed to secondary legislation.

We will implement systems to:

allow for the administration of haulage permits for non-EU Member States and, if necessary, future journeys to the EU
allow trailers to be registered ahead of use to, or through, a foreign country which has ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention
The permits online system will launch in November 2018, operated by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

The trailer registration online system will launch in December 2018, operated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

Impact assessments on these proposals considering the benefits and costs to both government and businesses are included.

This was announced on 13 September 2018.

Fifty years behind as usual

Just to update, system is running in a test mode at the moment, logged in took a few mins paid £26 per trailer & got my reg numbers.

Not quite sure how I’m going to get em made or fix em on yet.

iguana:
Just to update, system is running in a test mode at the moment, logged in took a few mins paid £26 per trailer & got my reg numbers.

Not quite sure how I’m going to get em made or fix em on yet.

Do you have a link to the site?

Yes- below

gov.uk/guidance/trailer-reg … =immediate

iguana:
Yes- below

Thank you, know several people who think they’ve registered their trailers, but I think they’ve signed up to the old certificate of ownership scheme.

Project Fear at its finest.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.

From that date, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.

From 29 March 2019, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you may need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign).

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal and the European Commission does not make a decision ensuring that UK registered vehicles will not be checked for proof of insurance, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

Err, yes, we’ve got the message now, eu. But we voted to blow you out, so please respect our decision.

muckles:

iguana:
Yes- below

Thank you, know several people who think they’ve registered their trailers, but I think they’ve signed up to the old certificate of ownership scheme.

Yeh me too, I’ve also just changed the title of this thread from small trailer, to just trailer as it will apply to most on here other than rigid or van only guys.

iguana:

muckles:

iguana:
Yes- below

Yeh me too, I’ve also just changed the title of this thread from small trailer, to just trailer as it will apply to most on here other than rigid or van only guys.

good idea, we have one 3.5t Brian James trailer and 3 artic trailers to register, I’m pleased they don’t want too much info, a mate of mine was checking axle spacing, pin to axle length etc etc, but the unladen weight is going to be a bit of an estimate.

Looks like the plate has to be a square one, I was hoping to be allowed to use rectangular plates and have it next to the Towing vehicle plate, Spanish style.

What will these plates look like??

Geoffo:

Square plate, black letters on white background,
One letter followed by 3 Numbers on top row and 4 numbers on bottom row.

muckles:

Geoffo:

Square plate, black letters on white background,
One letter followed by 3 Numbers on top row and 4 numbers on bottom row.

Thanks for the info.