Gearbox noise

Anyone come across this before?, when in low ratio, DAF SSC MANUAL GEARBOX, it makes a growling noise, if you change to low ratio, while slowing down to stop and let the clutch out , some weird noises occur, sounds expensive, no noise wharptsoever in high ratio.
Sapper

Drop the oil as a first step?
Lots of metal filings confirms the ‘expensive’ diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

How old is it ,ZF have an issue with the range change on some vehicles

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, Norb, not sure if it’s a zf box, it’s the three speed with splitter, like the Volvo ones, might even be a Volvo box, anyway, don’t matter now, it’s ■■■■■■, stopped at traffic lights in Wrexham, wouldn’t engage gear at all when lights changed, now recovered to Imperial in Wrexham, as I type this.

Sapper

Apparently there is a problem with a lay shaft bearing seizure then ruins casing on 12 speed manual, not sure about auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macker1999, that’s what the fitter said when he started it and tried to engage a gear, waiting till Friday now, when they drop the box and have a look, no doubt it will be sent away to be stripped down as not many main dealers work gearboxes now, ah, well, a week’s holiday looks on the cards.
Sapper

Just been told, 1 to 3 weeks, looks like it’s going to be sent for a rebuild, using another drivers vehicle as he is off sick at the moment, at least he has a better gearboxx on it, I think it’s a fuller 16 speed.

Sapper

1to 3 weeks lol …I do boxes at our place ,you would be talking if all things are ok getting parts and authority 2 days worse case 3 days…1day to remove strip box estimate get authority and order parts …Get parts the following day rebuild get it back in the truck,which may take it in to the 3rd day ,The ZF box is easier than doing an engine job !!! If still at our place in 2 weeks it I because the customer hasn’t picked it up lol…Input shaft is a piece of ■■■■ to do

Popped in today to get some kit out the truck, it was up on the ramp with the box out and sent to Manchester on Friday, they reckon it will be back on Thursday, sent to ZF apparently.
Sapper

sapper:
Popped in today to get some kit out the truck, it was up on the ramp with the box out and sent to Manchester on Friday, they reckon it will be back on Thursday, sent to ZF apparently.
Sapper

Manchester is the ZF workshop…

Only difference on low and high range is the rear out put gearing.
As the box uses the same basic transmission for all speeds it must be a fault in the rear output gearing but I bet ZF tell you you need a new gear box.
Kiss 5 grand good bye.

norb:
1to 3 weeks lol …I do boxes at our place ,you would be talking if all things are ok getting parts and authority 2 days worse case 3 days…1day to remove strip box estimate get authority and order parts …Get parts the following day rebuild get it back in the truck,which may take it in to the 3rd day ,The ZF box is easier than doing an engine job !!! If still at our place in 2 weeks it I because the customer hasn’t picked it up lol…Input shaft is a piece of ■■■■ to do

“Authority” whose [zb] "authority?
Jesus
No wonder main agents are considered a last resort.
Can you people not understand that these vehicles need to earn a living?
3 days to do a gearbox !!!
Can do a box in a day.
And no doubt you do it cheap as chips !!!
Christ how long does it take to do an “engine job” ?

Macker1999:
Apparently there is a problem with a lay shaft bearing seizure then ruins casing on 12 speed manual, not sure about auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the layshaft doesnt turn in high range?
What a load of twaddle.

A Volvo box in one Daf and a Fuller in the other? Really…

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I think 3 days is reasonable could do it in 2 depending if the parts are in stock as for authority the customer may give you permission to strip the box but may say no to fixing it I waited 2 months for a customer to give authority to rebuild an engine as it was nearly 8 grand in parts

Bking:

norb:

“Authority” whose [zb] "authority?
Jesus
No wonder main agents are considered a last resort.
Can you people not understand that these vehicles need to earn a living?
3 days to do a gearbox !!!
Can do a box in a day.
And no doubt you do it cheap as chips !!!
Christ how long does it take to do an “engine job” ?

and dont you realise we need to know who is paying the bill before carrying out a repair,hence you are a back street bodger who is only allowed on trailers…If you want to repair vehicles for free then crack on .well i did say 3 days max depending on getting the required parts …And what would you know ,you cant repair boxes ,and 3 days is still quicker than ZF …and what do you mean by engine job? …I know more about vehicles than you ever will …Do you wish to visit some of your previous attempts of knowledge ie turbos ■■?

Angus25:
I think 3 days is reasonable could do it in 2 depending if the parts are in stock as for authority the customer may give you permission to strip the box but may say no to fixing it I waited 2 months for a customer to give authority to rebuild an engine as it was nearly 8 grand in parts

Thank you Angus …That is a complete strip ,inspection for consequential damage and wear and a clean

Thanks for all the replies guys, hopefully get it back by this weekend, bummer in this 13 plate, no microwave, no fridge, having to eat ■■■■■■, oh well, home Friday night, and have a few beers.

Sapper

No problem norb I used to work for daf and others

Gearbox guy at our place had it sussed, out and stripped same day, wait for authority for money then order parts, but wierdly he never ever managed to get it back together in time to go back in the truck until it was home time, then it was handver to lates or nights, strange that :grimacing: