External TMs

Seems like a stupid question but… it’s one I don’t know the answer to

To all you external TMs out there, how did you get your first contract? Any advice you’d give?

I’ve read the local ‘applications and decisions’ but not sure exactly what I am looking for TBH

I’ve done the large company and had about enough of the [zb] TBH. I work hard and think I would be better back working for myself

What are you trying to do or expecting?

Wheel Nut:
What are you trying to do or expecting?

I have my CPC (and DGSA) but want to go back to working for myself, so external TM work seems to be the way forward to me unless you have other suggestions

I have just left a company that had me as their external TM, and the down side is to doing it is, you don’t know what they are up to when you are not around.

I will leave it at that.

Ken.

Quinny:
I have just left a company that had me as their external TM, and the down side is to doing it is, you don’t know what they are up to when you are not around.

I will leave it at that.

Ken.

I can’t say that thought hasn’t crossed my mind. I just want one small to medium company that tries to work within the law. Is that too much to ask do you think?

(Don’t mind me, it’s been a very bad week)

Quinny:

I will leave it at that.

Ken.

Hi Ken,

I’ve had some of that too!!

:bulb: BTW, don’t forget to inform the TC of your resignation and effective end date. :wink:

It was done before I left Dave.

Funny thing was, the company concerned, tried to do me out of a weeks worth of money, but when I politely reminded them of the date I actually left, not the week they thought I had, that money was soon forthcoming. I politely reminded them of the record the TO would have had of my leaving date. :laughing:

Ken.

The thought had occurred to me becoming an External TM. I live in South Yorkshire.So if anyone knows of
any small firm looking please send me a PM.

Quinny:
It was done before I left Dave.

Funny thing was, the company concerned, tried to do me out of a weeks worth of money, but when I politely reminded them of the date I actually left, not the week they thought I had, that money was soon forthcoming. I politely reminded them of the record the TO would have had of my leaving date. :laughing:

Ken.

That’s why in charge a month in advance

frenchflyer:
The thought had occurred to me becoming an External TM. I live in South Yorkshire.So if anyone knows of
any small firm looking please send me a PM.

Ive been doing it for a few years now, and the constant theme I come across, is you are dealing with people who wont listen, wont take advice and will do everything you warned against behind your back....Ive had to bin two in the last 5 years, and another came very close this week.

Its not for the feint hearted, and make sure you invoice three months in advance :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:
Ive been doing it for a few years now, and the **constant theme I come across, is you are dealing with people who wont listen, won`t take advice and will do everything you warned against behind your back**

I’ve had the same thing when I’ve worked for companies full-time. :confused:

muckles:

Me too, hence why I was considering external

Might just give up and go back to driving for someone. Give them the hassle and worry.

muckles:

Stanley Mitchell:
Ive been doing it for a few years now, and the **constant theme I come across, is you are dealing with people who wont listen, won`t take advice and will do everything you warned against behind your back**

True :blush:

good_friend:

muckles:

Me too, hence why I was considering external

I’d say it’s not too bad if you’re the nominated TM at the company and employed as a full time employee, because at least you can see/hear what’s going on.

As an external TM at a good number of companies, I’d suggest that you consider that there might be an element of ‘while the cat is away.’ If I thought that I was being used as a puppet regime for a bad owner (possibly previously disqualified) that would bother me.

My continued repute is paramount to me (and the TC :open_mouth: ) so, on balance and previous experience, I think I’d tend to steer away from being an external TM.

Might just give up and go back to driving for someone. Give them the hassle and worry.
[/quote]