Setting up a grab wagon business

Hi, just want some thoughts on some ideas iv been working on, im in road construction earn about 50k a year, i know its a decent wage but i work every hour under the sun 7 days a week alot of time and i dont think theres much more my back can take. iv been thinking of buying a grab wagon and setting up on myself. i dont have a class 2 yet i plan on taking it at the end of year when my work slows down and then getting a job with someone working daily with a grab wagon, get to know the game and gain some contacts first before eventually buying a wagon and setting up myself. i already have alot of contatcs in the tarmac industry that would use me for work im sure and with the right contacts and advertisement maybe can make something of myself, expand get a few trucks and maybe some tippers and drivers working for me. i know its not as easy as that, but im still young willing to learn and put in the hard work that needs to be done to get the right results. (and so i wont have to work until im 68 if i reach 68 :wink:

Scroll down this board a bit, you’ll find a couple of very recent threads on the same subject. So of the questions you probably have may have
answers there. :wink:

Yes a few posts about this recently. Also something I have thought of. Keep me posted of your progress

Why do you work 7days week??
Under WTD would suggest that is breaking employment law!!!

Big Truck:

The construction industry seems to have a situation where weeks like that are normal. A refit in the shop I was working in had guys working 7 days a week for the last 6 weeks of the job.

When I was talking to a couple of the guys they were happy to do it as they may not work for 6 or 8 weeks when done on that job. Others were traveling from Cornwall and Scotland who weren’t going home so rather earn the money. I will agree I don’t see how its legal and was pleased there were no serious accidents to start people asking questions about working hours

kcrussell25:

Big Truck:

The construction industry seems to have a situation where weeks like that are normal. A refit in the shop I was working in had guys working 7 days a week for the last 6 weeks of the job.

When I was talking to a couple of the guys they were happy to do it as they may not work for 6 or 8 weeks when done on that job. Others were traveling from Cornwall and Scotland who weren’t going home so rather earn the money. I will agree I don’t see how its legal and was pleased there were no serious accidents to start people asking questions about working hours

It appears WTD only seems to apply to HGV drivers. Rest of country appears to ignore it & some that say they are complying are simply paying it lip service.

Ill whisper it but Taxi Drivers■■? :imp:

DF40:

kcrussell25:

Big Truck:

It appears WTD only seems to apply to HGV drivers. Rest of country appears to ignore it & some that say they are complying are simply paying it lip service.

Ill whisper it but Taxi Drivers■■? :imp:

When I worked in retail I did 60 hours on the clock most weeks not even counting stuff at home. I was never asked or expected to sign an opt out as (I can’t remember the exact wording now) “voluntary overtime” such as staying on to fulfil something that should have been completed in your “normal hours” didn’t count… give me a taco anyday now!