Owner operator to small transport co

nsmith1180:
I had an application from a driver by phone the other day. His opening words were ‘Alright Chap.’ Immediately put me on the no-go side of things.

Once he had ascertained he was speaking to ‘The man’ - His words, he immediately got to the important questions. Did he ask hours? Did he ask pay? Did he ask Holiday Entitlement? No, the first question he asked was, “So, when are you getting rid of them bloody Renaults?”

Of course I countered with the usual, “what would you rather have, a bit of chrome on the sun visor or £60 a week more in your pocket?” which got him listening to me when I said, “Ill tell you what, Ill get Martin in the office to give you a call, arrange a date and time, and if he can find a single redeeming feature in you, we might give you a try.” I think he realised then that he had blown his shot because he became rather apologetic.

This is the problem with drivers these days though, they figure out they are talking to the owner of the company so they come out with that sort of insulting bolix and still think they have a chance of a job.

Never tell them you are the gaffer, either on the phone or on the road, you get a far better perspective when their guard is down, the ■■■■■■■■ flows if they feel on safe ground, or not if they are genuine & decent ….