Owner operator earnings. Is it worth it?

Hi there, I’m currently working as a class 1 driver. Thinking to get my o licence and than thinking about own truck. Found out about some money i should have on my account to start and money for truck and stuff. Want to know more about the money that can be earned if working for yourself. How are the jobs usually payed is it worth it? Your opinions guys please. It’s a long way and expenses so want to understand if i should even start or not. Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

that be the weekend getting off to a good start then? :slight_smile:

ps…( or not ),is the answer to your question…end of.

dieseldog999:
that be the weekend getting off t a good start then? :slight_smile:

Just trying to figure out …

I have been a owner operators for many years now and earn a reasonable living, but in reality probably not much more than I could do working for someone else on unsociable hours. It does however give me more flexibility to work when I want to.

On a 22 h week what would be your profit?

whelmic:
I have been a owner operators for many years now and earn a reasonable living, but in reality probably not much more than I could do working for someone else on unsociable hours. It does however give me more flexibility to work when I want to.

Valerian:

whelmic:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
excellent…so what school do you attend for the other 18 hours?

and as to the flexibility aspect of working when you want to,then at what point does that head right out of the window when your bills need paid…
flexibility to pick and choose or work or snooze is apparantly best suited to the limping driving gods amongst us,certainly not owner drivers.

Is it a better choice to work as an agency driver with an Ltd? And earn between 3000-4000£ a month without having any headache?

dieseldog999:

Valerian:

whelmic:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and as to the flexibility aspect of working when you want to,then at what point does that head right out of the window when your bills need paid…
flexibility to pick and choose or work or snooze is apparantly best suited to the limping driving gods amongst us,certainly not owner drivers.

Valerian:
Is it a better choice to work as an agency driver with an Ltd? And earn between 3000-4000£ a month without having any headache?

dieseldog999:

Valerian:

whelmic:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry i meant on a 22 day month :slight_smile:

Valerian:

whelmic:

A 22hr week wouldn’t pay your fuel bill…

Guys i meant a 22days month…

xichrisxi:

Valerian:

whelmic:

A 22hr week wouldn’t pay your fuel bill…

You had the answer a while back, you generally don’t earn much more than being paid, but you have hassle.

As for Ltd on agency, 3-4000, take money out for pension, sick pay and average pay for 28 days and ask yourself if it sounds good now.

Valerian:

whelmic:

You can turn over 10k if you lucky, you take home 3k if you lucky :slight_smile:
but you can polish your chrome wheels every day…if thats your thing :wink:

dont forget , you dont get paid when you on holiday…same with agency.

LL79:

Valerian:

whelmic:

You can turn over 10k if you lucky, you take home 3k if you lucky :slight_smile:

With regard to not getting paid on holiday , when one is an owner operator the idea is not to be a full time sub contractor but to have lots of your own customers and sub work out ,and also is to earn as much as pos and to have the intention to be well off not just this pay my bill s mentality which to me is bonkers ,these pay my bills and earn a living type attitude operators are zb heads that are zb the job up .Aim high aim to be rich and holidays and days / weeks off won’t even matter .

Punchy Dan:

LL79:

Valerian:

whelmic:

With regard to not getting paid on holiday , when one is an owner operator the idea is not to be a full time sub contractor but to have lots of your own customers and sub work out ,and also is to earn as much as pos and to have the intention to be well off not just this pay my bill s mentality which to me is bonkers ,these pay my bills and earn a living type attitude operators are zb heads that are zb the job up .Aim high aim to be rich and holidays and days / weeks off won’t even matter .

Well said sir!

And that should be the attitude for everyone thinking of being an owner operator, not “will I make a living”