Eddie stobarts owner driver scheme

Hi all,

Since my last post I can’t even get a rental truck for 3 months due to being a new company with no trading history but I seen the attached picture and they gave me a call.

They give you a new truck, fuel card, full R and M, and plenty work, they reckon you turnover 12k a month, less 1400 for the truck, 18% for them, planners fees etc and can make 1400 profit after wages and insurance with one driver.

Anyone done this before?

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Trust me, if there was profit in it they’d use their own lorries to do it. Simple as that.

Ask them if they’ll put that in a contract for you,that £1400 profit thing…

Funnily enough they werent keen on gauranteeing any work profits

Looks like the poor sod in the photo can only afford to get one arm tattooed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Separate the fixed costs, standing costs and running costs first, the fuel card will be settled before any profits are available

Harry Monk:
Looks like the poor sod in the photo can only afford to get one arm tattooed. :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: Yes he may afford to get the other arm done in a couple of years time :unamused:

xichrisxi:
Ask them if they’ll put that in a contract for you,that £1400 profit thing…

Sorry mate, i didn’t get it. Are we talking about a profit of 1400£ per week? Is it worth it?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Honestly these people give cash payments for a food allowance ,so you lose holiday pay when off ,that is actually a tax write off for them ,So if they penny pinch that miserly ,Do not expect much proffit … They are A horrible grasping company .I thought this was a joke at first lol

He only needs his window arm tattood [emoji38].

I wonder how that scheme works. I thought it might not pass the government ir35 self employment rules.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I sat in an FTA meeting on Thursday and listened to a presentation by Kevin Rooney, TC for the west of England, he said you cannot be self employed and drive a truck unless you have your own truck ( owned or leased ) organize your own work and hold an o licence.
He said a lot more than that but that was the essence, you are either a proper owner driver or you are employed.

the maoster:
Trust me, if there was profit in it they’d use their own lorries to do it. Simple as that.

Well, they do use their own trucks according to the ad, but they will be making a profit on it now that they expect the driver to self insure, oh and I assume insurance isn’t just vehicle insurance, bet your bottom dollar it’ll be load insurance and possibly some form of public liability/company type insurance too?

Sunnydevon:
I sat in an FTA meeting on Thursday and listened to a presentation by Kevin Rooney, TC for the west of England, he said you cannot be self employed and drive a truck unless you have your own truck ( owned or leased ) organize your own work and hold an o licence.
He said a lot more than that but that was the essence, you are either a proper owner driver or you are employed.

Tarmac
Clingstone
Breedon
Etc

I can’t see any problem with this and IR35. You hold your own O licence, you pay the lease on the tractor and my understanding is that you can source a tractor elsewhere but why would you since you’ll never match the deal on offer, you pay your own fuel you can use a different driver of your own choosing, and one of the crucial tests for IR35, you can make a loss. I also believe that Kevin Rooney is wrong if he claimed that you need to source your own work, in fact why is he commenting on an HMRC matter at all, if unsure there is a very straightforward checklist on the HMRC website to check if particular circumstances are PAYE or not.

I cannot imagine that a company in any industry would guarantee subcontractor a profit margin, turnover maybe, but profit never.

AlexBarclay:
Hi all,

Since my last post I can’t even get a rental truck for 3 months due to being a new company with no trading history but I seen the attached picture and they gave me a call.

They give you a new truck, fuel card, full R and M, and plenty work, they reckon you turnover 12k a month, less 1400 for the truck, 18% for them, planners fees etc and can make 1400 profit after wages and insurance with one driver.

Anyone done this before?

So if you drive yourself, its about 4500/month before tax? If?

Alex Barlays…so we are screwed then? No finance amd no rental trucks to new companies■■?

Yep, if you don’t have a good pal in a company that could rent/buy for you or don’t have the cash up front you won’t even get a sniff [emoji107]

this then?

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/classif … ney=Search

friend of mine may help me with 3k :slight_smile:

That’s the idea I think [emoji1787] thought about a late premium (13) can pick one up less than 10 k get a personal loan and do it, but I seen this stobarts thing so I’ll see how it reads once they give me something in writing because it seems straightforward and if I can get some trading history I’ll be good to leave them in a few months if I’m not bankrupt

AlexBarclay:
Hi all,

12k a month doing flat out hours I suppose.

Lets take a look at this.

18% for them is £2160
The truck is £1400
£850 a week on fuel = 3686 per month
Operating centre = 400 a month
Motor policy, PLI, ELI and GIT: £600 a month
Salary + Subsistence: £2600
Accountant: £150.00
Mobile phone: 50.00

That leaves you £954 at the end of the month, which is good, its a profit after all.

BUT. Lets be generous here and say that Stobarts are paying £1.50 per mile, loaded or empty. That works out at 2953km a week. The one time I have hit that number in a week I ran out on Sunday and had to be rescued by a mate on the Friday and most of my work is in and out in 30 minutes stuff, your work will be all the crappy tescos and amazon runs and the crap stuff from portsmouth to Inverness that doesn’t make sense for one of theirs. I’d be guessing, given that this is William “The Leach” Stobart they are giving income including VAT and costs before. If I’m right here you are £1,046 wrong way.

Then of course there is the truck you will be using. Volvo fleet spec FH with every decent option removed or a Scania R series 450 which is the worst engine and truck combination ever launched, again, as its Stobarts, probably with every button worth having taken out. Nothing on it to say its yours so no-one knows. Which means that in a year or twos time when you can get funded for a nice new lorry, you are starting from scratch with sourcing work.

You will also have no freedom as an operator. You will start when you are told to, go where you are told to and finish when you are told to. For gods sake, you will even be wearing their uniform! You would be better off taking your chances with HMRC and going Ltd Co with The Logistics People. You will be doing the same job driving the same truck but at least then you are an agency driver so you can tell the pointy shoed idiot on the other end of the phone to go ■■■■ himself without killing your business.

Thats all based on