Eddie stobarts owner driver scheme

kcrussell25:

nsmith1180:

AlexBarclay:
Hi all,

They give you a new truck, fuel card, full R and M, and plenty work, they reckon you turnover 12k a month, less 1400 for the truck, 18% for them, planners fees etc and can make 1400 profit after wages and insurance with one driver.

12k a month doing flat out hours I suppose.

Lets take a look at this.

18% for them is £2160
The truck is £1400
£850 a week on fuel = 3686 per month
Operating centre = 400 a month
Motor policy, PLI, ELI and GIT: £600 a month
Salary + Subsistence: £2600
Accountant: £150.00
Mobile phone: 50.00

That leaves you £954 at the end of the month, which is good, its a profit after all.

BUT. Lets be generous here and say that Stobarts are paying £1.50 per mile, loaded or empty. That works out at 2953km a week. The one time I have hit that number in a week I ran out on Sunday and had to be rescued by a mate on the Friday and most of my work is in and out in 30 minutes stuff, your work will be all the crappy tescos and amazon runs and the crap stuff from portsmouth to Inverness that doesn’t make sense for one of theirs. I’d be guessing, given that this is William “The Leach” Stobart they are giving income including VAT and costs before. If I’m right here you are £1,046 wrong way.

Then of course there is the truck you will be using. Volvo fleet spec FH with every decent option removed or a Scania R series 450 which is the worst engine and truck combination ever launched, again, as its Stobarts, probably with every button worth having taken out. Nothing on it to say its yours so no-one knows. Which means that in a year or twos time when you can get funded for a nice new lorry, you are starting from scratch with sourcing work.

You will also have no freedom as an operator. You will start when you are told to, go where you are told to and finish when you are told to. For gods sake, you will even be wearing their uniform! You would be better off taking your chances with HMRC and going Ltd Co with The Logistics People. You will be doing the same job driving the same truck but at least then you are an agency driver so you can tell the pointy shoed idiot on the other end of the phone to go [zb] himself without killing your business.

Thats all based on

I am paye agency (not logistics people) and including subsistence and rolled up holiday pay I earn around £950-£1000 for 55-60 hours Monday to Friday nights a week. I am on rail so lots of waiting around and easy work.

I don’t see how using the figures above it is worth it. As nsmith puts it just work for the agency without the risk

Sounds like a rare agency ,Is that paye umbrella ?