Volvo fm12 460 rigid trailer modulator fault

Hi guys, I’ve got an issue with my 2005 fm12 460 rigid. The code (mid 136 sid68 fmi7) says that the pressure sensor in the trailer modulator has a mechanic fault. I’ve spent a fortune on the drawbar trailer itself trying to solve this problem taking it to many ‘experts’ including volvo who just seem to want to rip me off & not solve the problem. The trailer will lockup on the foot brake at the slightest touch of the pedal until the check brake ECU message comes on then the brakes go weak on the trailer before eventually the abs light comes on. I get this message without the trailer connected as well but no abs light. Can anyone help me

Has ecu on trailer been replaced?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Is this a turntable drawbar trailer or a close coupled one? The ABS/EBS systems are different. The age of the trailer and the make and generation of ABS/EBS system fitted is going to be relevant. Is there an information display system on the trailer? Is the ABS suzie double ended or hard wired to the trailer or do the electics go through an entirely different type of plug/socket on the back of the lorry to that used on an artic, like some older drawbar units used to do?

The trailer ecu has been replaced & the whole system upgraded to a gen 3 as this was thought to be the problem.
It’s a close coupled drawbar with Suzies (like an artic) which have been checked & the ebs/abs lead changed.
Could it be a wiring fault on the volvo it’s self? I just don’t know where to start looking

Some vehicles and gen 3 are not compatible then throw up a fault.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

That’s the thing though, it had the fault before the upgrade & the upgrade hasn’t made it any better

Probably the two most vulnerable sites for problems are the sockets on the rear of the towing lorry and the front of the trailer. You can check the condition of the wiring yourself. If tis has been in a main delaer there is a fair chance that in the technical investigations via the manufacturer’s dedicated plug in software that these have been overlooked. I am reasonably sure that there was a post on here a while back about a drawbar trailer throwing up an EBS fault which came down to the socket on the lorry after hours in the dealers workshop.

cav551:
Probably the two most vulnerable sites for problems are the sockets on the rear of the towing lorry and the front of the trailer. You can check the condition of the wiring yourself. If tis has been in a main delaer there is a fair chance that in the technical investigations via the manufacturer’s dedicated plug in software that these have been overlooked. I am reasonably sure that there was a post on here a while back about a drawbar trailer throwing up an EBS fault which came down to the socket on the lorry after hours in the dealers workshop.

As Cav has said above,
I run hook loader drawbars and the electrical sockets probably last 6 months before they need replacement through corrosion and ABS/EBS sockets probably a couple of months more, don’t need or want spray flaps on unit as they have to go on landfill sites so the leads and sockets get a good dousing of muck and road spray.

Thanks guys, I’ll check the sockets & the wiring into them & go from there