Discs and pads

Being quite lucky I’ve never had owt to do with them ,how long are they lasting and what on and which axle ,pads and discs together every time or 2 sets of pads per disc ?

Stay away from them Dan! Witchcraft I tell ya. Next thing you’ll be getting rid of the squariel and your Betamax jobbie. :smiley:

the maoster:
Stay away from them Dan! Witchcraft I tell ya. Next thing you’ll be getting rid of the squariel and your Betamax jobbie. :smiley:

Next he’ll be asking about Adblue :open_mouth:

image.jpeg
These were my front ones ,I put the shoes in 2 and a half yrs ago ,the drums were on when I bought it , front axle weighs 7.8 tonne empty gets lighter when loaded ,got 3 tonne crane behind cab ,our youth says 12 weeks and one of his drivers wth similar lorry needs pads in :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

blue estate:

the maoster:

Next he’ll be asking about Adblue :open_mouth:

Don’t need ad blue :laughing: bought some ad blue devices from a vosa man on the car boot sale :laughing: :laughing:

In a std 4z2 or 6x2 tractor unit you will get at least 6/700k from the discs, pads are good for anywhere between 300 and 400k
Anything special ie cranes/rigid low loaders can be all over the place.

Particularly if not running at full weight there is certainly a time element which may well take over. Corrosion and to a lesser extent surface cracking rather than wear combine to shorten the life of both pad and disc. As far as corrosion goes the state of the locating clamps for floating discs (DAF & Volvo/Renault?) becomes the deciding factor sometimes.

Probably already said .There is no set time …There is so many variables …The driver being the first …is he Michael Schumacher of the late /heavy breakers …If not and they use any aux braking systems ,them the issues that will occur is seized calipers ,for some odd reason 1 pin is left exposed to the elements and seizes and after that on DAF will be the locking plates that secure the disc to the hub rusting away leading to a loose disc

Knorr Bremse caliper servicing guide:

knorr-bremsesfn.biz/WCMS/Ar … EN_006.pdf

Your motor factor should be able to acquire a wall chart with the most frequent requirements and torque figures on it. The free movement of the caliper on its slider pins needs to be checked much more regularly than stated, ie every six week inspection, not just by observing travel but by manually checking movement is present. This is particularly worthwhile in winter and/or if the vehicle, trailer or lift axle is not used every day. The same as drum brake automatic slack adjusters should be wound off to check that they adjust and that the ratchet holds, so too should caliper adjusters be checked for operation.

Vented discs can crack through the middle, ie between the two rubbing surfaces, this may not be immediately apparent once rust starts to grow. Bright red rust around the periphery and/or a black or dark grey rubbing surface indicate something is not right usually either overheating (red) or the exact opposite.

norb:
Probably already said .There is no set time …There is so many variables …The driver being the first …is he Michael Schumacher of the late /heavy breakers …If not and they use any aux braking systems ,them the issues that will occur is seized calipers ,for some odd reason 1 pin is left exposed to the elements and seizes and after that on DAF will be the locking plates that secure the disc to the hub rusting away leading to a loose disc

Have you seen the Daf note where they reckon 0.40mm of radial play is acceptable betweend disc and hub?

The open floating bearings are a ■■■■■ idea, the ones woth the folding rubber lobe are much better but still not perfect.

Most common reason I change pads isn’t usually because they’ve worn out but to get the drive axle park brake through test.

On trailer axles used to change discs all the time never because the disc had worn out but because the ABS exciter teeth had corroded too much.

Worst case I came across of pad wear on a unit it turned out there was a problem with the trailer brakes - the problem was the driver never put the yellow line in.

Trickydick:

norb:

Have you seen the Daf note where they reckon 0.40mm of radial play is acceptable betweend disc and hub?

The open floating bearings are a [zb] idea, the ones woth the folding rubber lobe are much better but still not perfect.

Just read your note there Tricky ,i have just checked your figures on RAPIDO for a euro 3 85 when discs just came out at it is 0mm play for disc to hub …Axial play on the caliper is 0.6mm - 1mm for the guide sleeves it is a max of 2mm…I only cheked rapido as i don’t remember any bulletins…

norb:

Trickydick:

norb:

The open floating bearings are a [zb] idea, the ones woth the folding rubber lobe are much better but still not perfect.

Just read your note there Tricky ,i have just checked your figures on RAPIDO for a euro 3 85 when discs just came out at it is 0mm play for disc to hub …Axial play on the caliper is 0.6mm - 1mm for the guide sleeves it is a max of 2mm…I only cheked rapido as i don’t remember any bulletins…

Thats radial play, I questioned it at the time and thats what they came back with 0.40mm, I tried to explain any play will mean the two parts will hit each other at each end of their travel and rapidly wear the disc and hub lugs away, but no Daf said 0.40mm.

I had one the other day so tore it down, new disc and there was still radial play, so new hub and guess what? there was still raidal play, and that was genuine disc and hub, guy from another depot said thats fine the heat expansion will take the play up, and no Im not kidding!

Both trucks were newer than Euro3, one would be E4 and the other E5, not done an E6 one yet.

DAF clearly have some senior engineers in charge who were working on the Titanic. 15 thou… clonk clonk, clonk clonk. :unamused: Assemble with Sodium Chloride grease and rely on a spurious voltage from the ABS sensor to speed up the bedding in?

cav551:
DAF clearly have some senior engineers in charge who were working on the Titanic. 15 thou… clonk clonk, clonk clonk. :unamused: Assemble with Sodium Chloride grease and rely on a spurious voltage from the ABS sensor to speed up the bedding in?

I did say many years ago but it was ■■■ pood, that the abs sensors should be popped out each year cleaned and regreased so they dont seize solid.

Trickydick:

norb:

Trickydick:

norb:

Thats radial play, I questioned it at the time and thats what they came back with 0.40mm, I tried to explain any play will mean the two parts will hit each other at each end of their travel and rapidly wear the disc and hub lugs away, but no Daf said 0.40mm.

I had one the other day so tore it down, new disc and there was still radial play, so new hub and guess what? there was still raidal play, and that was genuine disc and hub, guy from another depot said thats fine the heat expansion will take the play up, and no Im not kidding!

Both trucks were newer than Euro3, one would be E4 and the other E5, not done an E6 one yet.

I won’t doubt you tricky i can only say what rapido says .i only checked euro 3 since that is the oldest .Obviously the caliper figure are from the caliper manufacturer…But there is no movement allowed between disc and hub

Trickydick:

norb:

Trickydick:

norb:

I won’t doubt you tricky i can only say what rapido says .i only checked euro 3 since that is the oldest .Obviously the caliper figure are from the caliper manufacturer…But there is no movement allowed between disc and hub…What I will add is that the L plates between the front and rear discs are different ,which prevent overheating …I can not remember which is which ,one set are flat ,the other have ridges ,one does the front one does the rear ,though the discs are identical ,the correct L plate is critical

If I ever remove a hub ,though it is not a job I get ,but when I did do hubs I always replace the sensor and exciter ring …Think its called preventative maintainance

Slotted front and solids rear, which I reckon is weird as the rear must run botter as its hidden inside two wheels?
Also do sensors and pulse rings

norb:
If I ever remove a hub ,though it is not a job I get ,but when I did do hubs I always replace the sensor and exciter ring …Think its called preventative maintainance

Sounds more like a main agent screwing a customer
Why would you change a reluctor ring and sensor when you change a disc?
And how much do you charge for a ring and sensor 100 or 150 a pop ?
Wonder why nobody uses main agents no more?