Scania emissions

We have a 2011 scania R440 non adblue 320,000 miles, only owned it from March and it’s been brilliant upto now… yesterday a few warning lights came on followed by the engine management light which then all reset it self when it was turned off.

The lights was in this order, High emissions, engine malfunction, then reduced power (reduced power only came on the once) whipped it straight to scania in Hull which was abit of a waste of time…

Then today fully loaded going over ouse bridge it all comes back on, and you could feel it suddenly dip in what power it has, got on the flat and all goes off… Then ferrybridge incline it happens again. It’s not smoking any less or more, any ideas guys?? EGR? Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Quite possibly turbo on way out

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mdourish:

Someone else said that to me this morning as well :open_mouth:

yt03:

mdourish:

Where I work there getting rid of the 440 engine as they was a poor engine and scania know about. I used to have the 440 and came up with same faults as yours and was turbo on way out

mdourish:

yt03:

mdourish:

Where I work there getting rid of the 440 engine as they was a poor engine and scania know about. I used to have the 440 and came up with same faults as yours and was turbo on way out

That’s handy to know thanks for the information mate

Was thread on here last year about a similar ish issue.

I had the 310; was working it hard in the lakes and cooling fan kicks in - immediately I get the high emissions light and the warning ‘reduced engine power in ■■ hours’ - Scania changed the EGR sensor cleared the fault but ■■ hours later I got the red warning light ‘engine power 50%’.

Basically changing the EGR sensor and clearing the fault didn’t fix it, merely just masked it.

What actually happened was (concluded after many hours in the garage) the engine cooling fan motor spiked the ECU when it came on. Fan was faulty, replced. ECU had to be remapped or whatever it is they do. Since that was done all was good.

However, could just be a wire chafing somewhere…

Interesting about your fan issue.

The following was the recent sequence of events with my R480 (adblue)

For around a day and a half power came and went, every conceivable fault came up on the dash , then eventually died completely. In cab co-ordinator(ecu) was shot. The chap who fitted the new one told me it was most unusual, as they usually just drop dead, you stop the engine and it won’t start again. £1400 for parts and labour later and off we go merrily for a little while. The following day, engine management light came on, but no other warnings and no power loss. Called my man and gave him the fault codes, turned out to be the thermostatic hub on the cooling fan which was faulty. New fan required , but no rush as the fan defaults to being on all the time so no risk of overheating. No worries thinks me.
Two days later took truck for test, failed because the MIL light was on, apparently it’s a fail since 20th of May but this old hillbilly hadn’t read the small print. New fan fitted £ 800 later and we now have an MOT. Happy days!!
The following day, having been maneuvering in a yard, I set off back into the hills, got full power in low range (it’s a manual), then once in high range, it defaulted into limp home mode or worse.
After a bit of investigation, yours truly realised there was a problem with the reversing light switch and the rev lights were staying on. Disconnected the plug at the gearbox and off we go again with full effort from the engine. Hey ho, who needs rev lights anyway at this time of year, but wait, now having read the new MOT regs, if I get a pull and they’re not working, that’ll be a PG9 sir.
WTF is going on in this country?

All this on a well maintained five year old truck with 415000k from new.
Premium trucks? I think not.

Old John:
Interesting about your fan issue.

The following was the recent sequence of events with my R480 (adblue)

For around a day and a half power came and went, every conceivable fault came up on the dash , then eventually died completely. In cab co-ordinator(ecu) was shot. The chap who fitted the new one told me it was most unusual, as they usually just drop dead, you stop the engine and it won’t start again. £1400 for parts and labour later and off we go merrily for a little while. The following day, engine management light came on, but no other warnings and no power loss. Called my man and gave him the fault codes, turned out to be the thermostatic hub on the cooling fan which was faulty. New fan required , but no rush as the fan defaults to being on all the time so no risk of overheating. No worries thinks me.
Two days later took truck for test, failed because the MIL light was on, apparently it’s a fail since 20th of May but this old hillbilly hadn’t read the small print. New fan fitted £ 800 later and we now have an MOT. Happy days!!
The following day, having been maneuvering in a yard, I set off back into the hills, got full power in low range (it’s a manual), then once in high range, it defaulted into limp home mode or worse.
After a bit of investigation, yours truly realised there was a problem with the reversing light switch and the rev lights were staying on. Disconnected the plug at the gearbox and off we go again with full effort from the engine. Hey ho, who needs rev lights anyway at this time of year, but wait, now having read the new MOT regs, if I get a pull and they’re not working, that’ll be a PG9 sir.
WTF is going on in this country?

All this on a well maintained five year old truck with 415000k from new.
Premium trucks? I think not.

I feel your pain… Sadly I think most manufacturers make a ‘friday afternoon’ job…

Problem has been reoccurring, gets going up a hill exhaust is now kicking out spoke, the turbo changes tune and then all the warning pop up, get on the flat and they all go off and it bellows smoke out top… It’s really not liking having to use all it’s power… if you take it off cruise control and go steady up it’s totally fine…

Going back to scania tomorrow, see what gets said. Bet gaffer wishing he stuck with volvo’s :unamused:

yt03:
Problem has been reoccurring, gets going up a hill exhaust is now kicking out spoke, the turbo changes tune and then all the warning pop up, get on the flat and they all go off and it bellows smoke out top… It’s really not liking having to use all it’s power… if you take it off cruise control and go steady up it’s totally fine…

Going back to scania tomorrow, see what gets said. Bet gaffer wishing he stuck with volvo’s :unamused:

440 … non adblue…excess smoke…

I’m thinking head maybe shot - is she using much water?

el_presidente:

yt03:

It does use water, maybe a litre every other week… probs not even a litre? I’ll keep an eye on that! If head was going it would drink it wouldn’t it??

yt03:

el_presidente:

yt03:

It does use water, maybe a litre every other week… probs not even a litre? I’ll keep an eye on that! If head was going it would drink it wouldn’t it??

It would if the linings had slipped - a thread about that re a DAF; or if things were really bad…

Check the inside of the engine oil filler cap - if there is a white residue its a sign that there is likely water contamination in the oil.

el_presidente:

yt03:

el_presidente:

yt03:

It would if the linings had slipped - a thread about that re a DAF; or if things were really bad…

Check the inside of the engine oil filler cap - if there is a white residue its a sign that there is likely water contamination in the oil.

I’ll have a look in morning, thanks for the help

I’m assuming the air filter is good, and all the turbo/intercooler pipes have been checked for leakage. Also the intercooler itself.
A fairly small leak anywhere in the pressurised intake system would cause a lot of the symptoms you describe, and only be evident when the engine comes under sustained high load.
Check your turbo boost gauge when you are pulling up a bank. If it doesn’t go right up to the top of the scale then something is amiss.

Old John:
I’m assuming the air filter is good, and all the turbo/intercooler pipes have been checked for leakage. Also the intercooler itself.
A fairly small leak anywhere in the pressurised intake system would cause a lot of the symptoms you describe, and only be evident when the engine comes under sustained high load.
Check your turbo boost gauge when you are pulling up a bank. If it doesn’t go right up to the top of the scale then something is amiss.

Checked the turbo guage straight away and all is ok, checked water again this morning and not used a drop all week… see what scania come up with over weekend aye

Place where I work has a Scania blowing “white smoke”
EGR heat exchanger failed as usual.
They rang scania and they want two grand!!!
Told em about the "tuppeny " repair.
You get two penny washers,braze up the hole in the middle,grind them down to fit the inlet and out let coolant pipes and braze them in.
No more leaks,pass mot no problem,bit more power and maybe half a mile per gallon gain in fuel consumption.
Happy days.
Why pay two grand for something that does absolutely sod all except make these robbin main agents a lot richer at your expense?
Its all a scam.

Bking:
Place where I work has a Scania blowing “white smoke”
EGR heat exchanger failed as usual.
They rang scania and they want two grand!!!
Told em about the "tuppeny " repair.
You get two penny washers,braze up the hole in the middle,grind them down to fit the inlet and out let coolant pipes and braze them in.
No more leaks,pass mot no problem,bit more power and maybe half a mile per gallon gain in fuel consumption.
Happy days.
Why pay two grand for something that does absolutely sod all except make these robbin main agents a lot richer at your expense?
Its all a scam.

Wont be many years before the mot includes a plug in for error codes and egr blanking will be a fail same as it now is on the cars.

Tricky ,any warning lights on (i’ll no doubt get this wrong lol) on euro 6 is a fail but not euro5 and before …it was part of the change in may …We phoned the station before a test for a vehicle with a warning on and they said it isn’t a fail//Then they wanted to fail it when presented …Luckily our lad reminded them of the call and it was passed lol…Obviously it was repaired before being returned

Ive noticed peopls attitudes are changing towards egr/scr blanking etc, before it was blank away/emulators etc, now people are actually saying its wrong.

EGR is the worst thing ever invented …SCR isn’t perfect but I would rather have that only,hence I think Iveco have won a watch ,yep it uses more of the stuff ,but I reckon what you spend on extra adblue is offset by the EGR downtime and issues