New owner driver

Hi I am looking for sud contracting work or traction work thanks Glasgow or south

Not original advice but get out there and knock some doors or at least get on the phone.
Try some smaller Co’s as holiday time and they may not use agency but be happy to use subbie.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Try Streamline Shipping Group at Motherwell. They keep asking me to do stuff for them. Same with 2Excel Logistics.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Don’t forget to download your driver card a maximum of every 28 days and the vehicle as well

Stevenr79:
Hi I am looking for sud contracting work or traction work thanks Glasgow or south

Shouldn’t you have sorted this out BEFORE becoming a “new owner driver”? :bulb: :unamused:

In an ideal world yes Rob but it takes some significant brass ones to go up and talk jobs and money with a company when you have no idea when you will be available, or even if you’ll be available if O-licence is still under consideration.

nsmith1180:
In an ideal world yes Rob but it takes some significant brass ones to go up and talk jobs and money with a company when you have no idea when you will be available, or even if you’ll be available if O-licence is still under consideration.

I think that’s where you and I differ then Nick as there’s no way I’d be putting down tens of thousands of pounds down to satisfy the O-licence requirements and then spending a similar amount on the truck and everything else that’s required without any good paying work lined up to pay for it all. That would be a very rapid route to bankruptcy to my mind.

It looks very much like we’ve got another Maritime subbie here.

Most firms wont even entertain a “unofficial chat” without a o-license present.

Its the main step to being taken seriously imo.

Rob K:

Stevenr79:

Shouldn’t you have sorted this out BEFORE becoming a “new owner driver”? :bulb: :unamused:

Hi rob I understand this but I am trying get work soon as I get my o licence in place because as you know cost is lot put out so I can earn asp :smiley:

nsmith1180:
Try Streamline Shipping Group at Motherwell. They keep asking me to do stuff for them. Same with 2Excel Logistics.

Hi I will call them in next week thanks for help anything better than no work :slight_smile:

Rob K:

nsmith1180:

I think that’s where you and I differ then Nick as there’s no way I’d be putting down tens of thousands of pounds down to satisfy the O-licence requirements and then spending a similar amount on the truck and everything else that’s required without any good paying work lined up to pay for it all. That would be a very rapid route to bankruptcy to my mind.

Yes I’m sure most firms will hold back their “good paying work” for a guy (or girl) who hasn’t yet and may not get an operators licence and might not be able to run anyway.

toonsy:

Rob K:

nsmith1180:

Yes I’m sure most firms will hold back their “good paying work” for a guy (or girl) who hasn’t yet and may not get an operators licence and might not be able to run anyway.

well i tell you this much I have fire in me make a go off it and for yourself I hope your doing well there a good old saying you don’t ask you don’t get . and at same time wee all have to start some were and as off work I will be asking others because I do know some things not it all .every day a school day in this game :smiley:

toonsy:

Rob K:

nsmith1180:

And that’s exactly why the vast majority of new ODs go to the wall within 12 months of starting up. You find the work FIRST, talk figures to see if you’re both on the same page, THEN get the truck, licences and insurances sorted out. Doing it the other way round usually results in you doing traction for Barronwood, Norfolkline and Maritime for a quid a mile and essentially being run like an employee with none of the benefits.

One thing I’ve found is that most of the large operators will take on a subbie. Your biggest stumbling block is actually finding the person who can say ‘yes or no’ as an email will generally be deleted on sight by office wallahs. Best to phone up and ask to speak to transport manager/operations manager/logistics manager…etc.

The second problem is then actually getting a living rate. That living rate will be subjective, clearly depending on how much ‘debt’ you have to service in the company; balanced against how many miles you can reasonably expect to achieve against that rate.

Whatever happens, always see these things as learning opportunities and, in the fulness of time, business training. It’s entirely possible that one day you may find places you deliver to will start asking you directly to quote for work for them.

good luck.

el_presidente:
One thing I’ve found is that most of the large operators will take on a subbie. Your biggest stumbling block is actually finding the person who can say ‘yes or no’ as an email will generally be deleted on sight by office wallahs. Best to phone up and ask to speak to transport manager/operations manager/logistics manager…etc.

The second problem is then actually getting a living rate. That living rate will be subjective, clearly depending on how much ‘debt’ you have to service in the company; balanced against how many miles you can reasonably expect to achieve against that rate.

Whatever happens, always see these things as learning opportunities and, in the fulness of time, business training. It’s entirely possible that one day you may find places you deliver to will start asking you directly to quote for work for them.

good luck.

thanks as I say will give it a go and everyone got start some where lot people for get that but I keep looking forward not back

nsmith1180:

Takes a lot more brass ones stood in front of the liquidation guy telling everyone you can’t pay for the lorry, fuel, tyres or paint work

Are Stobards still looking for lambs to slaughter, full page ads in the Sun must have attracted thousands

Wheel Nut:

nsmith1180:

Takes a lot more brass ones stood in front of the liquidation guy telling everyone you can’t pay for the lorry, fuel, tyres or paint work

Fair point, well made and beautifully presented.

nsmith1180:

Wheel Nut:

nsmith1180:

Fair point, well made and beautifully presented.

.........jpg.jpg

I’m assuming that you live around central Scotland somewhere.
If that’s the case, then instead of looking for south work, which is unlikely to be good, why don’t you look west and north?
There are biblical volumes of round timber to be moved and the companies that are involved in the work are often receptive to approach by reliable and resourceful subbies.
Some of these firms have grown into fair sized businesses, but remain family owned and run and when you talk to them, you’ll get right to the main man first time.
I don’t know you, but if you want a V8 with alloys and stacks, and happy to spend the weekend polishing the fuel tank, forget it.
However, if you’re happy with something light like an FM Globetrotter tag and proper timber skelly with payload getting on for 29t you’d be unlucky not to make a decent living. It’s not the wild west type job it used to be, and there are some very nice outfits on the job up there.
Some other advice I hope you’ll take.
(1) Get some figures together. Projected income and expenditure based on your discussions with potential customers and suppliers.
(2) Take the above to an accountant and ask his opinion on the viability of your business model. If you get the right man, his fee will be the best money you will ever spend.
(3)If he thinks you’re good to go, don’t dive in and buy a truck. There are some very good rental/leasing deals to be done just now, and while on the face of it they will appear more expensive than financing a used truck, the risk management element they offer is priceless in your circumstances. In short, if you have some capital available, keep it. You’ll be terrified by how much you have to spend on running costs before you get your first payment in. (You may be eight to ten weeks before money starts to come in and if you are busy, fuel alone will not be far off £1k per week.)
(4) If I haven’t scared the keech out of you with all this, ■■■■■ on, and best of luck with it. You’ll do yourself a lot of good if, to begin with at least, you keep your eyes and ears wide open and your mouth tight shut, never be caught talking when you should be listening!!
PAY YOUR BILLS, always, always. In full and on time, then even if you find its not working as you hoped it might, you will be a man of respect who can walk away with your head up and your reputation intact.

Jings, I feel the better of that mega rant!!