Wheel arches

I hope someone can give an authoritative answer to the question:

Is it legal to drive an artic (coupled to a trailer) with the centre detachable panel of the drive axle wheel arches detached?

I have my own thoughts but I cant find a definitive answer. So I hope someone can come up with the correct answer and the chapter and verse to back it up!

Then I can clear off back to where I came from haha.

Thanks all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

AUTO C, W+D, ARTIC, BUS
ADR
NVDIR Instructor
TEST CENTRE ON SITE
RESIDENTIAL NO EXTRA COST
NVDIR APPROVED TRAINING CENTRE. FIRST ACCREDITED BY DVSA 2008.
FINANCE AVAILABLE PRICE MATCH
youtube.com/channel/UCFIbqo … 9TkeU8jy_Q

No it’s not legal. Most Europeans have such a shallow neck on the trailer to keep them under 4m height they have to run with them off or they will catch on the trailer when turning.

A quick search on spray suppression should get you an answer of sort as it’s already been discussed on here before , heavy goods vehicle inspection manual consolidated edition 2011 section 14 .
My understanding is that as long as the wing tops are carried on the tractor unit they can be removed.

I stand corrected. From the 2018 testers manual inspection no. 14:

With regard to the requirements for wings and wheel arches, a vehicle may be passed without wings when a semi-trailer/body/ container is carried which fulfils the requirements of a wing i.e. a vehicle presented for annual test towing a trailer and the wing tops are not fitted on the vehicle due to the trailer being very close to the tyres. This is not a deficiency for wings or spray suppression providing the rotation of the wheels does not permit mud or water to be thrown directly on the road surface.

From this you don’t need to carry the wing tops with you, but they would have to be fitted if running solo.

As said Pete, if its got a trailer on no need for the wing tops.

coiler:
I stand corrected. From the 2018 testers manual inspection no. 14:

With regard to the requirements for wings and wheel arches, a vehicle may be passed without wings when a semi-trailer/body/ container is carried which fulfils the requirements of a wing i.e. a vehicle presented for annual test towing a trailer and the wing tops are not fitted on the vehicle due to the trailer being very close to the tyres. This is not a deficiency for wings or spray suppression providing the rotation of the wheels does not permit mud or water to be thrown directly on the road surface.

From this you don’t need to carry the wing tops with you, but they would have to be fitted if running solo.

That’s how I understand it to be.

NickE92:
As said Pete, if its got a trailer on no need for the wing tops.

I don’t think it’s that simple, if you are Euro spec that is a flat 5th wheel base, 80mm 5th wheel feet and a 90mm trailer neck this is correct because the trailer is almost skimming the tyres; however if you’re UK spec 100mm 5th wheel base, 150mm 5th wheel feet and a 180mm trailer neck there is no way that the trailer could be considered close enough to be acting in lieu of the mudguard tops as stated in the regulations.