Reasons for BLOWOUTS

Hello guys,

could you please tell me what, in your experiance, is the main reason for blow outs? Is it cheap tyres or lack of proper walk round check or something else?

Sidewall damage would be my guess but inside sidewall is very hard to catch on walk around.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

A slowish puncture can lead to a tyre on a loaded trailer running hot and blowing. You see the blowout but the underlying cause may be a simple puncture.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

A strap coming loose and hanging down and knocking the valve off leading to a big bang :blush: :blush: :blush: come on no ones perfect :wink:

Overheating hubs, brakes, tyre damage in sidewall or tread, slack tyres don’t blowout, they just disintegrate, but a tyre run slack and then inflated will pop off

My driving is the cause for them lol.Being honest there is no simple reason for if the tyre has any sort of fault it will go bang.

Pressures/make and condition, some stones in the tread grooves can wear through to the cords and even start wearing them away.

Touch wood, despite running max weight when loaded i haven’t had a blow out since i worked where i am (nor heard of any), no remoulds at all though the rented trailers now and again sport a Mich Remix which have never given a moments trouble.

A few months ago i stopped at an MSA for me statutory Greggs breakfast deal :sunglasses: , and whilst doing a quick walk around noticed one of the tank trailer tyres was low (not my usual vehicle), when the tyre fitter got it off he found half the tread separating, turned out to be some bloody usual suspect make remould which had been fitted recently during a call out, had i not noticed it low pressure that would have been a major tread flapping blow out further down the road, that caused an inquiry cos our tyre suppliers knows we don’t use rubbish like that.

IMHO avoid remoulds unless genuine Mich Remix, though the way some drivers stuff their tyres up kerbs and into serious pot holes at speed i’m amazed just how much punishment tyres can stand.

Most trailer blowouts happen on the centre axle, as I’m sure everybody will have noticed. This is because the first axle will run over some debris in the road and throw it upwards into the path of the second axle tyre set where it will penetrate the tyre which then loses pressure and overheats until it suffers terminal failure.

Short of stopping every ten minutes to check the tyres, there’s not really a great deal which can be done about this.

Harry Monk:
Most trailer blowouts happen on the centre axle, as I’m sure everybody will have noticed. This is because the first axle will run over some debris in the road and throw it upwards into the path of the second axle tyre set where it will penetrate the tyre which then loses pressure and overheats until it suffers terminal failure.

Short of stopping every ten minutes to check the tyres, there’s not really a great deal which can be done about this.

Spread axles [emoji23]

Wheel Nut:

Harry Monk:

Spread axles [emoji23]

Showing you age there :grimacing:

Harry Monk:

Err no can’t say most trailer blowouts happen on the middle axle in my experience. But then again to which axle would you fit a recut?

Always fitted new tyres on Centre axle and moved the others around

I would say the main reason for a blowout is whether the tyre has bandvulc written on it or not, they seem to go bang for a past time when they look like new. It’s funny people put new tyres on the middle and swap them around as we run, remoulds normally encore on the front, recuts in the middle and new Michelin on the back.

From what I gathered so far:

• avoid cheap tyres
  • always have the newest tyres on the middle axle (trailers)
  • avoid remolds

Wheel Nut:

Harry Monk:

Spread axles [emoji23]

We used to have some Ferrymaster chopdown tilts with a spread axle, gaffer at the time put a coilwell in one and with a 20 ton coil sat in the middle of the axles you could drop the trailer without winding the legs down and it would almost stay up straight :smiley: nightmare to drag round corners though

boyesadabest:
I would say the main reason for a blowout is whether the tyre has bandvulc written on it or not, they seem to go bang for a past time when they look like new. It’s funny people put new tyres on the middle and swap them around as we run, remoulds normally encore on the front, recuts in the middle and new Michelin on the back.

New Michelin on the rear axle is an expensive hobby. I would prefer remix on axles 1&3 and new on 2.

Driver Pete:
From what I gathered so far:

• avoid cheap tyres
  • always have the newest tyres on the middle axle (trailers)
  • avoid remolds

Disagree with point 2.
When the fronts or rears get worn (usually the rears cos they suffer the most), they are usually recut and put on the middle axle where they last ages, and new quality tyres fitted to the back/front, as i said blow outs are virtually unheard of in the entire fleet, which when loaded are at full weight every time.

We run with upto 15 feet of overhang so the best tyres always go on the back

Excepting a tiny proportion of blowouts due to a manufacturing fault all blowouts are caused due to excess heat. There are many different reasons for the heat though, but low pressure is usually one, but again this can be caused for many different reasons.

As for putting new tyres on the middle axle and worn, remould or poor quality in the position which take all the punishment, well just bonkers in my view, but each to their own, whatever works for you.